Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Re: .50/1.00

Agreed with everybody else on the free card play. I play .5/1 FR at Stars, and the free card play is one of those lines that I hardly ever use anymore. There are a couple of reasons why:

1. As mentioned, there are a lot of TAGs at this level who can recognize this play and who will either 3-bet the flop and lead the turn or who will call your flop raise and stop-and-go the turn. There are also a few oblivious players who will suddenly wake up and donk the turn into you even if the TAG who led the flop action slows down. But mainly its the TAG-ish multitablers who foil this line.

2. I've never played .25/.5, but I guess .5/1 is probably tighter. It's not like this game is squeeky-tight or anything, but it's very common to be in pots that are HU or 3-way to the flop, and then HU going into the turn. You shouldn't be using the free card play often in those situations because your fold equity is way too high. Even if your opponent checked to you on the turn, you'd often want to decline the free card anyway. In a HU pot, I'll often raise the flop and take a free card if offered on the turn with a hand with showdown value, like the nut flush draw, but with run-of-the-mill drawing hands it's probably better to semibluff the turn instead of forfeiting all your fold equity by taking a free card.

TAGs + shorthanded pots = not many profitable applications of the FCP.

Edit: By the way, this is the reason why you should often give heavy flop action when you're in position with a strong hand. It seems to me that many players consistently misread flop raises as draws whereas they read call-flop/raise-turn as big hands. If you play your big hands fast on the flop, you'll often extract more bets than if you get cute and slowplay to the turn.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:23 AM

i think that the best way to combat players who always fear free cards, is to play hands faster than you would normally..
like If I was HU and there was a flush draw on board or something, I'd be more inclined to raise a set on the flop, since typical villains tend to stop and go or three bet so much if they have anything at all..
Old 11-08-2007, 11:31 AM

i play also on stars .50/1 fr fl. U got some good players and some great donks. choose cards with the right players, and everything should go allright. I mean, if everyody folded to you. Raise when somebody on the bb is passive, u can raise 9Ts from the CO if the Button is a tight player(it is important for you that you close the betting). On passive players u can do your freecard moves. And u should bluff every ace or king. fire one time on turn, if it dont works, damn next time better. against passive players u can play this way with profit. Dont do it in the begin of an session. when the table respects you only, i mean u have to try to steal a little..

remember, with passive, i dont mean callingstations.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:57 AM

Damn... I'm still trying to crush 0.02/0.04 games. I keep getting out drawn! And pple stick around with the mid pair while I bet OOP with AK!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn... I'm still trying to crush 0.02/0.04 games. I keep getting out drawn! And pple stick around with the mid pair while I bet OOP with AK!

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope this is a level.

i also hope that i'm being naive for even questioning if its a level or not.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:18 PM

I think that its all about one thing. Combining player types, cards and appropriate action. Get yourself Pokertracker, PA HUD, and data mine a bit. Once done you'll have enough info on players to make the appropriate move in the correct situation with the correct cards. Info is everything.