Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Should Vice Principal Lose Her Job? - (*Warning-Gruesome topic\")

There was an episode of CSI about something similar. A couple had a hild that had Tay Sachs disease and he died. They had a second child and it died after being left in the car in the Vegas heat for a couple of hours. Turns out that they thought the second kid had Tay Sachs and wanted to save it from suffering. But in reality, the kid didn't have Tay Sachs. He was just sick from being exposed to some pesticides and would have been fine in a couple of days.

Some people think that losing your own kid was punishment enough, that no amount of punishment could ever equal the punishment of losing your own child.

But the problem with that point of view is that people can take advantage of that attitude and get rid of unwanted kids by saying it was an accident (like in the CSI episode). Since it is impossible to distinguish between the truly accidental deaths and the people who want to kill their child, you have to punish everyone.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:26 PM

It's also very self-serving, like a kid murdering his parents and then complaining that he's an orphan. If you kill your kid through what could at best be categorized as criminal negligence, your kid dying is hardly "punishment enough." It's your reward. The last thing you need is a sympathetic pat on the back about it.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:44 PM

I'm not going to rehash things that have already been said, so I'll just relay an odd experience I recently had:

I was waiting in line at Circuit City a couple weeks ago and the wait was unusually long, like 15-20 minutes. There were three of us in line. At one point during the wait, somebody came into the store (don't remember if it was an employee or customer) and said that there was a baby alone in a car. An employee paged who I assumed was the store manager. Manager didn't materialize for a few minutes, so said employee found someone else who I assumed was of some authority. He went out to the parking lot to investigate.

While he was out there, I told the employee who was now assisting me with my purchase that if there really is a baby alone in a car, we should call the police. She had no reaction to what I said. Within a minute of my comment, the person who checked out the parking lot said he didn't see any babies in cars (this was the middle of a weekday, so there weren't many cars to check).

Here's the kicker: after the guy told us he didn't see a baby, the woman behind me in line (who had expressed her displeasure at the wait, so I know she is not shy) said, "That's my sister's baby. My sister is waiting for me in the car with her."

You know, dumb bitch, that information would have been nice a few minutes ago, considering I was worried and was about to call the police.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About the backing up -- I'm wondering if there is poor visibility in an SUV if the child is in the seat directly behind the driver. I asked my friend at work and she said it would be really hard to see a child directly behind her driver's seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

If she had the baby seat behind the driver's seat, she's stupid.

The safest place for the baby seat is in the middle. If you can't put it in the middle (we couldn't on my wife's car), the next insanely logical spot is on the passenger's side because it is easy for the driver to see.

Yes, I know that there's a chance that people can use neither the passenger's side nor the middle, but I find that unlikely.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:15 AM

Safest seat in any car is directly behind the driver.

The only time this causes trouble with a baby capsule or child seat is when you are putting the child into the seat - you tend to be on the traffic side of the car which is not so good as the kerb side of course.

Not putting a child behind you in case you might forget it is an argument for sterilisation.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The only time this causes trouble with a baby capsule or child seat is when you are putting the child into the seat - you tend to be on the traffic side of the car which is not so good as the kerb side of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the safest is in the middle because it is farther from ALL side impacts.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the safest is in the middle because it is farther from ALL side impacts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I didn't explain this because I figured it was painfully obvious.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:58 PM

Forgetting the child in the car happens on a surprisingly regular basis. I hesitate to pass moral judgment on the women because she is obviously a stupid animal. I also see no point in sending her to jail as this wouldn't deter future incidents; I don't think she is a threat to society; and I don't think she meant to forget about the kid. But if you want to send her to jail I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:10 PM

If this wouldn't deter future incidents, then does any prison sentence ever deter future incidents?

Also, if she is a threat to children, even her own, she is a threat to society by definition. She's even already carried the threat out once.

I also find it hard to believe you pass no moral judgments on a woman who had already been warned not to do this, and who has the same full understanding of the possible consequences anybody who has even ever owned a dog does.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If she's been warned several times she should not only lose her job but be prosecuted too.

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely prosecuted.