Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Study - Public Opinion in Iran and USA on Key International Issues

Quite informative:
Public Opinion in Iran and America on Key International Issues (The University of Maryland; january 2007)

Among others, key findings of the study were clash of civilisations, terrorism, US-Iran relations, nuclear issue, globalization, democracy, Iraq, etc.

Findings are very informative for those who are very loud about nuking those extremists… here are some findings:

71% Americans and exactly the same Iranians favor the idea of having a nuclear weapons free zone in the middle east that would include both Islamic countries and Israel.

63% Iranians vs 60% Americans believe that globalization is mostly good for Iran.

Clash of civilizations - a substantially larger minority of Americans than Iranians believe that conflict is inevitable.

some interesting:
80% of Iranians believe that attacks at civilians are never justified, while only 46% of Americans believe the same.

Overwhelming majorities of Iranians rejected as “never justified:” attacks on women and children (91%), the elderly (92%), and “wives and children of the military” (86%)…
…compared to Americans “never justified” attacks on: women and children 72%, the elderly 71% and wives and children of the military 74%.
Never justified attacks on government officials (53% I vs 24% A), policemen (49% I vs 37% A), intelligence agents (54% I vs 23% A).

some frightening in case of war:
62% of Iranians think of themselves primarily as a member of their religion and only 27% as a citizen of Iran.

Frightening because I'd say about the same numbers are probably in all other Middle East countries.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Study - Public Opinion in Iran and USA on Key International Issues

One thing you left out of that poll is that the majority of Iranian citizens feel that killing Israeli civilians is justified.

53% of them are in favor of Palestinians targeting Israeli civilians.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
62% of Iranians think of themselves primarily as a member of their religion and only 27% as a citizen of Iran.

Frightening because I'd say about the same numbers are probably in all other Middle East countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

arent we really past the point of thinking this makes a difference about anything? in fact, im happy that a larger percentage define themselves by their religion than by their state because the ideology of the leader of the iranian govt is scary and oftentimes completely irrational.

and yes, i realize that religious ideology fits this bill as well, but i think most of you understand my point.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

arent we really past the point of thinking this makes a difference about anything? in fact, im happy that a larger percentage define themselves by their religion than by their state because the ideology of the leader of the iranian govt is scary and oftentimes completely irrational.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Iranian government, too, defines itself by its religion. The Iranian President, Mullahs, the Council of Experts - they all define themselves and the Iranian government by their religion.

Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Iran (wikipedia)

Sharia (wikipedia)