Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Best Resort in Hawaii?

Also, scratch the Wailea Grand off your list right now.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:46 PM

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all of the advice so far. Sounds like I've got a little more homework to do... I'll post an update once I've had a chance to look at some of the new recommendations (plus, that'll give me a chance to bump my thread... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

In the meantime, I'd love to get some more opinions...

Mike
Old 02-22-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

PS let me know if you want to get in a game while you are here.

[/ QUOTE ]

im here now. PM me.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:34 PM

My family just rented a condo in Hawaii for July. We will be staying on the big island on a very nice golf resort property for $250/night. You should check out the various websites where the owners rent out their property in the summer.

Here is an example of one property:
http://www.vrbo.com/4972
Old 02-23-2007, 08:03 AM

I would not go back to the Grand Wailea. The place was pretty, but the landscaping/layout made it feel like the Disney Polynesian Village. The pool was crowded and noisy. Also, the hotel is shaped in a long curve facing the beach. So, when you step out onto the balcony, you can see (and be seen) by every other balcony in the hotel.

The Princeville was the exact opposite. You absolutely should stay there. Where the Grand Wailea was very in your face, the Princeville was laid back and luxurious at the same time.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:25 AM

I got married and honeymooned at Four Season Maui. Of the 3 Maui resorts you mentioned and going by your criteria, In my opinion the Grand Wailea would be your least preferred. Nice place but if you ranked the 4 listed hotels in terms of seclusion, it would probably be last. Grand Wailea would work best, in my opinion, if you were bringing a family (children) along. Four Seasons Maui was awesome...beautiful beach with a great view especially at sundown. Very nice restaurants and awesome service. We want to go back someday very badly. Wouldn't call it very secluded but our balcony in a "partial ocean view room" was reasonably private and a great place to have breakfast in the morning. The Kea Lani seemed like an awesome property as well. We ate dinner there at Nick's Fishmarket and it was great.

However saying all that, I think maybe you need to look towards the Four Seasons on the Big Island to compare / contrast. I've never been there but I'm guessing it might have a more secluded feel than any of the 3 Maui hotels. It might also be the most expensive of the four but you can easily find that information. All 3 Maui hotels you list are very close to each other so its quite easy to visit all three to enjoy some of what they have to offer. I think the good thing about all of your choices is that even if you pick the worst of the 4, you will be staying at a damn good hotel in a beautiful spot.