Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 03:15 PM

Default C-betting

In HOH, it's implied that if your c-bet fails, you're done with the hand (unless it improves). Otherwise, you'll be in the dark tunnel.

Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like there's a large percentage of players who call c-bets just to see what you'll do next.

I'd like to read more about c-betting and c-bet defense, so if any of you could point me to helpful articles, threads, etc. I would appreciate it.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: C-betting

You are right about people calling and waiting. I believe that it was Brunson that said that few people have the fortitude to "Fire all three barrels" If so, try Super System. Try it anyway, it is one of the first and still one of the best ever written.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:40 PM

definately people call your c-bet

they want to see if you got the balls to throw a second bullet

most people are afraid of throwin a 2nd bullet, let alone the 3rd bullet (unless the board texture says otherwise)

what i do sometimes is check-raise instead of c-betting, really lets the opponent know i got something good

try that out once in awhile
Old 08-31-2007, 05:58 PM

i also think that there is some kind of dynamic.
i think the one year ago my c-bets won the pot more often than today.
so i assume that people get more and more used to the c-bet idea and defend better against it.
anyone else noted this?
Old 09-01-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are right about people calling and waiting. I believe that it was Brunson that said that few people have the fortitude to "Fire all three barrels" If so, try Super System. Try it anyway, it is one of the first and still one of the best ever written.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read SS but I think he is talking about deep-stacked cash games. The problem in a tourney is that firing a 2nd barrel could eat up a large portion of your stack, depending on how far into the tourney you are. And the 3rd barrel certainly would be gettng expensive, no matter how deep you are. I'm assuming here that a barrel doesn't mean some kind of little pussy bet.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:29 PM

Make sure you don't confuse 'calling to see what you'll do on the turn' with 'calling because he's a calling station.' Very frustrating to 2 barrel some yokel cause you know he has an underpair on a dry board, only to have him call down with it. It's important not to get paranoid about your opponents putting moves on you.

That being said, OOP I will two barrel if the turn could have made my hand, usually an A,K, or Q. Apart from that I usually give up, depending on things like board texture and my read on the guy.

In position is a whole different can of worms, since almost no one will float OOP on you, and you can take free showdowns/freecards, or set the price of showdowns, try and get value with super marginal hands vs. draws, etc.