Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Tough river decision with bottom set..5/10 NL @ foxwoods

[ QUOTE ]
Easy call Armen.

I used to play that game all the time, and against the type of player you describe, I wouldn't even hestitate on the call. Against a regular, say like Dave, you fold. If you can't call (let alone raise the turn which you made the mistake of not doing) you're not bankrolled deep enough to play that game.

I'm guessing his range at AA, KK, (low likelyhood) QQ, JJ, AT, T9, missed big flush draw (most likely), or TT, 55, 6d4d (low likelyhood because it makes no sense to push the river if he wants a call). My sense is that he's been trying to take the play away from you the whole hand and either A) doesn't want a call on the river, or B) made two pair on the river and wants you to call his overbet with AA or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that easy of a call. Wheres the value in raising the turn? Explain that logic to me, could you? Also, I'm probably over rolled for this game..Im not afraid to make huge call downs anyone that plays with me knows this. Have we played against eachother before?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 AM

I'd fold
Old 08-21-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy call Armen.

I used to play that game all the time, and against the type of player you describe, I wouldn't even hestitate on the call. Against a regular, say like Dave, you fold. If you can't call (let alone raise the turn which you made the mistake of not doing) you're not bankrolled deep enough to play that game.

I'm guessing his range at AA, KK, (low likelyhood) QQ, JJ, AT, T9, missed big flush draw (most likely), or TT, 55, 6d4d (low likelyhood because it makes no sense to push the river if he wants a call). My sense is that he's been trying to take the play away from you the whole hand and either A) doesn't want a call on the river, or B) made two pair on the river and wants you to call his overbet with AA or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly
Old 08-21-2007, 11:29 AM

By not raising, you paint yourself into a corner by just calling the first two streets - the value in raising here is not giving him an easy flush draw if he has it, to help you define his hand better, and finally, to make your decisions easier on later streets if scare cards come. You've got the button, use it. You call the check raise on the flop - what if a diamond hits on the turn, you going to lay down? It seems like you were only reacting to every street, not thinking about what your plan of action for later streets.
You raised from the button, and he limp calls. He puts you on either a plain ol' blind steal, big overcards like AK, AQ, or possibly a pocket pair. You look particularily weak throughout the entire hand, so what's he thinking on the river? He shoves $6000 effectively to you into a $1805 pot. He does not want a call here, and thinks that you can't call given the way that you played your hand. My thinking is that he's coming from the must move with a big stack, so either he gotta had hella monster hands in a short span or he was playing very aggressive and got there a few times. Hate to be stereotyping here, but against very agressive asian players at the 'Woods, I would never fold any set on a board like you described, and in a hand like the one you described.
Now just to cover my butt here, sometimes he'll show you the nuts here, but NL poker is not a game of absolute right and wrongs. I'll eat crow here if you called and lost, but I'm thinking that you folded and he refused to show you.

And yes, we used to play against one another, way back in Chelsea and occasionally at Foxwoods, but I moved out of the country (that is if you're the same ArmenH I'm thinking of).
Old 08-21-2007, 01:41 PM

i've played in this game, and i think i'd fold pretty quick here.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:27 PM

call
Old 08-21-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't fold sets against Asians. I'd also jack it up either on the flop or the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

quality post sir
Old 08-21-2007, 11:40 PM

RESULTS
Old 08-22-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
RESULTS

[/ QUOTE ]

Well his father eyefucking my chips told me he knew what his son had. I thought forever and told him what I was mucking. He looked shocked i mucked face up and I asked him to show..he showed me a set of 5s. Cooler hand , but i made the right lay down. Whatever, I hate poker.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sick sick sick sick sick sick sick

[/ QUOTE ]