Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2006, 11:08 AM

Default Re: 30/60 HORSE: Stud/8 with Fossilman

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can only call the raise on the river. In order to raise, Greg almost certainly has you beaten in at least one direction. Your re-raise can only lose money.

[/ QUOTE ] Why can't seat 8 have hit trips on the river? Many people not affluent in 7stud/8 severely overvalue trips. I think his chances of scooping warrant the river re-raise - I don't ever see him *getting* scooped - diamonds were fairly dead, so the flush isn't at all likely. If nothing else it gives the illusion of action and getting out of line a bit that may benefit him later on.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeh, seat 8 is a fish who doesn't know how to play stud/8, and is raising all kinds of junk here.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:16 PM

Default RESULTS

Fossilman had a straight from the 3 to the 8, so to speak, with an extra 7. So I somehow scooped, how lucky.

It kinda looked to me like he caught the 5 on the river, because otherwise why wouldn't he raise on 6th?? Which means he played buried sevens with one dead on 3rd? Or maybe he really was slowplaying on 6th. Thoughts on this appreciated.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:43 PM

Tough hand here

3rd is close, it depends on how the game/players are playing

4th is also very close. Against two tight solid players folding might not be such a bad player. They both caught really good cards and you dont have hardly any high potential.

5th is weird, unless you are putting fossilman on a pair your 87 is never good. You also have no high potential.

You need to most likely check fold 6th if fossialman bets and then the 6 seat calls. Even if he fold and its HU what range of ranges ARENT scooping you? nm
Old 09-14-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't seat 8 have hit trips on the river? Many people not affluent in 7stud/8 severely overvalue trips. I think his chances of scooping warrant the river re-raise - I don't ever see him *getting* scooped - diamonds were fairly dead, so the flush isn't at all likely. If nothing else it gives the illusion of action and getting out of line a bit that may benefit him later on.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the villain has trips, then his low is 8-6, and he's looking into the hero's board of 8-3-2-brick and seat 6's board of A-6-brick-brick. A raise is a TERRIBLE play here, because if the trips are good he wants a call, not a fold, from seat 6, and if they aren't good the villain stands a high risk of getting chopped up.

Frankly, not having played stud/8 against him, I wouldn't assume Greg Raymer was an expert player, but I would expect him to have at least a clue. Raising trips and an 8-6 in this spot is a beginner's blunder.

As for the diamonds, they aren't live, but they aren't dead either. Since my read is that the villain has a better low than 7653 I don't see OP's reraise winning a single dime more, and the slight possibility of a diamond flush turns jamming on the river into a chip spew, pure and simple.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:15 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Stars doesn't shuffle players' hole cards. You should know what he started with and what he caught on the river.

If he slowplayed on 6th, he likely wanted the extra call from seat 6, who has a hand that can't make a straight unless his play is REALLY sketchy.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:46 PM

If Stars doesn't shuffle hole cards, he started with (75)3 rainbow. I guess I get that rationale for not raising 6th, but it still looks sketchy to me. Shouldn't he want the other player to fold a smooth low draw?
Old 09-15-2006, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
=I don't see OP's reraise winning a single dime more, and the slight possibility of a diamond flush turns jamming on the river into a chip spew, pure and simple.

[/ QUOTE ] Alan, go look at the results. So much for the 'spew'. LOL Seriously, these type bets add up. You don't have to be right all the time for these bets to have a positive expectation, you just have to earn a little value on each decision. Plus, his image benefits a bit also with the illusion of a little 'iffy' action. I like it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeh, seat 8 is a fish who doesn't know how to play stud/8, and is raising all kinds of junk here.

[/ QUOTE ] Throttle back tha sarcasm a bit and put the energy into enhancing your winrate. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

P.S. The 'fish' got scooped. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2006, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Stars doesn't shuffle hole cards, he started with (75)3 rainbow. I guess I get that rationale for not raising 6th, but it still looks sketchy to me. Shouldn't he want the other player to fold a smooth low draw?

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, he should. Something doesn't look right. Don't think he had a straight on 6th - even a newbie would know to raise that hand on 6th if he in fact had it. I think starting with a pr of sevens is more likely.

Also, get out your notepad and note that seat 5 will call 4th and 5th after double bricking a decent low draw. Talk about hemmoraging chips.

P.S. How's the rake at Stars? The games look very good, but I hate paying full rake any more.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:26 AM

Let's see, I'm supposed to use the results of the hand to modify my analysis? Somehow I don't think so.

Myself, I get plenty of opportunities to create the illusion of action by betting/raising on the river with my low locks that have missed their scoop draws. Situations like this, where my raises usually don't win me anything and have a significant risk of costing me those extra bets, are not the right time to give action.

All the actual result proves is that Raymer made the same mistake on the river that OP did. OP won the extra bets ... this time.