Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Interested in starting a keeper basketball league

[ QUOTE ]
There will be a rookie draft. So I'm guessing still one of the top two picks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to propose that future rookie drafts take place in Vegas during the summer league.

Yeah, I'm jumping the gun a bit, but I went 0-4 in fantasy football this week, so I need something to keep me upbeat.

-McGee
Old 09-18-2007, 07:16 PM

We're discussing how to do the initial stuff.

The issue, if there is one, is that the economics of the league work fine in the early years, but really don't mature until year 4-5 when rookie contracts mature and all the initial draft contracts have gone from C1 to C5 and are getting absurd. So the key question is does it make sense to just let that process happen (and the league has been totally awesome while it happens), or do we try and "jump start it" somehow, and if so, how does that actually happen and how does it maintain balance.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to propose that future rookie drafts take place in Vegas during the summer league.

Yeah, I'm jumping the gun a bit, but I went 0-4 in fantasy football this week, so I need something to keep me upbeat.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

This idea just went up to eleventy brazillion on the awesomeness scale. Needless to say, I 100% support this idea...
Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

As awesome as this would be, it'd be pretty much impossible.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The issue, if there is one, is that the economics of the league work fine in the early years, but really don't mature until year 4-5 when rookie contracts mature and all the initial draft contracts have gone from C1 to C5 and are getting absurd. So the key question is does it make sense to just let that process happen (and the league has been totally awesome while it happens), or do we try and "jump start it" somehow, and if so, how does that actually happen and how does it maintain balance.

[/ QUOTE ]

We could just use the current contract values as your other league, and have one big draft where we draft the player and his contract.

Would take more preparation and what not, but I would be for it.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just let it gradually progress. Part of the strategy is preparing for when craziness hits.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We could just use the current contract values as your other league, and have one big draft where we draft the player and his contract.

Would take more preparation and what not, but I would be for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually not a horrid idea, better than what I've thought of for sure. Matt's point is a good one as well.

I'm inclined to let it mature, as it'll lend to the long-term attachment and history of the league, but people just need to be aware that it's a long-term league.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:36 PM

For example, after the initial draft, everyone will be right at or near the $66 million cap. Right now, at the start of year 5 (after free agency, rookie draft, etc), here is the salary breakdown (same $66 million cap):

Avg 85

Note that the payout structure is very flat, so there are like 4 teams in the league that can only make money by making the finals, and 2 that I think will only make money by winning the league. These teams really fatten the pot so that just making the playoffs for the lower-mid salary teams can turn a profit.

Anyways, just an illustrative example of the upward pressure on salaries and that it takes a while to get there. But when it does, it's pretty awesome how salary dumps etc really approximate real life.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Avg 85

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to give you an idea of what two teams at very different points rosters can look like.

Clarkmeister's roster is the 112, he has been in the league since the beginning and is 4 time defending conference champ, with his first title last season:

Yao Ming C 16.5 M5
Amare Stoudemire C 14.9 C5
Jason Kidd G 13.6 C3
Richard Hamilton G 12.3 C1
Chris Kaman C 9.9 C1
Corey Maggette F 9.9 C1
Drew Gooden F 8.5 C1
Caron Butler F 7.3 C4
Kevin Durant F 4.1 R1
Tyrus Thomas F 2.7 R2
Andrea Bargnani F 2.3 R2
Sasha Pavlovic F 2.1 C2
Thabo Sefolasha G 1.6 R2
Dorell Wright G 1.3 C1
Andray Blatche F 1.2 C1
Leon Powe F 1.2 C1
Wilson Chandler F 1.0 R1
Paul Milsap F 0.9 R2
Delonte West G 0.8 R4

My team is the 57 team. This is my first year in the league and I inherited a team in pretty poor shape, so I went into massive rebuilding mode, looking for young and/or cheap talent especially ones on early year contracts.

Kirk Hinrich G 12.6 C1
Tayshaun Prince F 6.9 C1
Raja Bell G 5.0 C4
Mike Conley G 3.3 R1
Brent Barry G 3.3 C1
Tim Thomas F 3.0 C1
Jeff Green F 2.7 R1
Marco Belinelli G 2.5 R1
Etan Thomas C 2.2 C2
Ime Udoka G 2.1 C2
Charlie Bell G 2.1 C2
Fabricio Oberto F 2.1 C2
Juan Carlos Navarro G 2.0 C1
Craig Smith F 1.6 C2
Thaddeus Young F 1.6 R1
Hilton Armstrong C 1.4 R2
Kurt Thomas C 1.2 C1
Jermareo Davidson F 1.0 R1
Jarrett Jack G 0.9 R3
Old 09-18-2007, 08:59 PM

Lol @ Chris Kaman for 9.9? (Rip at 12.3 also seems high, though I guess with the importance of percentages, he doesn't kill you there for being a volume perimeter guy)

Just reread the rules, and I'm impossibly geeked, but quick question as to how the initial draft works?