Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: ***Official Oregon Brewers Festival 2007 Thread****

Is this thing always a gigantic clusterfuck or was this year special? Whoever organized it should be kicked in the bag. Waiting 20-30 minutes for a [censored] beer is just clownshoes. NEVER AGAIN.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:57 PM

Should have been there earlier. The place was packed from 6pm till 8ish. I was there from like 1:30 till 8 and was able to taste whatever I wanted till about 4.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this thing always a gigantic clusterfuck or was this year special? Whoever organized it should be kicked in the bag. Waiting 20-30 minutes for a [censored] beer is just clownshoes. NEVER AGAIN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going at that time on Saturday is like intentionally getting on I-5 (in Seattle or Portland) at 4:55 on a Friday. You have to expect a clusterfuck. It is just the way it is. Is that any different then going to a hot club and trying to get a drink?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 PM

I have been to probably a dozen brewer's festivals and never had any problems getting a beer. This was set up like they were intentionally trying to cockblock everyone!

Most festivals I go to are more like trade shows- each brewery has a booth with its own signage, literature, and usually 2 or 3 types of beer to sample, along with people from the brewery to answer questions. Lines get up to maybe 3 people deep.

Contrast this with the Portland setup- pourers standing literally shoulder to shoulder behind long tables- no signage, no literature, no time to ask questions, nothing. Just stand in line like you are at a high school kegger and watch as 40 [censored] cut in front of you.

I had some fun drinking around town after the festival, as well as a couple of awesome donuts from Voodoo, so the trip wasn't a total loss.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:19 PM

Real shame Voodoo can't do the Nyquil Donuts anymore. Where around town did you go?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:27 PM

We wandered around, hit XV for some appetizers and some cocktails, then grabbed a cab and went to someplace that started with an Aa at like 34th and Belmont or something (had some local friends who were tour guides).

Got up and showered, then drove around a bit Sunday morning and found a coffee shop across the street from PSU for some breakfast, then headed home- we were both too beat up to do much sightseeing. Came home, watched the Ms and took a short nap, then dinner and The Simpsons movie (good times). All in all a pretty fun weekend, but I need a day to sleep now!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 PM

Next time in town after the bars hit up the Montage as they're open till 4am and are quirky as hell. Not the best sober food but when you are the drunk it is good. Cajun inspired.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:41 PM

I went to the Acropolis afterwards.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:49 AM

Yeah, the festival is always a cluster-f. It wasn't so bad up until about 4pm on Saturday then everyone in town came out. It's such a damn rip off too, but it's tradition so I go.

Hit up Rock Bottom, Jax, and Paddy's after. Good times, bad hangover.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should have been there earlier. The place was packed from 6pm till 8ish. I was there from like 1:30 till 8 and was able to taste whatever I wanted till about 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

We got there around 5 and it was just brutal. The only good thing was buying four unused mugs and 76 tokens for $50 right after we got in from some group that was leaving. The mug/token lines looked like at least a half-hour, maybe 45 minutes.

I looked for a group of people shooting craps on a sheet of cardboard but didn't succeed. Hope everyone had fun in spite of the crowds.