Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: possible reason arod signed early?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boras probably knew all along the $350 number wasn't gonna happen. he just made it up so when Arod settles for $300 it looks like he gave in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is the whole [censored] point. Everyone who can't grasp this concept needs to take a class on negotiating tactics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem is, that wasn't Boras's original negotiating point. He wanted $500 million w/ a possible stake in ownership after A-Rod retired. The $350 million was the low end that Boras was willing to settle for.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, so the money is fine. They still lose on the rep and relationship points.

[/ QUOTE ]

A shame, because these totally count if they tie with Boston at the end of the season next year.

It would seem that Alex/Boras managed to once again get a team to bid against itself, and this time after that team said it wouldn't!

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly did the Yankees bid against themselves? They negotiated this thing in less than a day. The Yankees don't mind overspending for their players. Look at what they are offering Rivera. 4M MORE than then next highest paid reliever.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, so the money is fine. They still lose on the rep and relationship points.

[/ QUOTE ]

A shame, because these totally count if they tie with Boston at the end of the season next year.

It would seem that Alex/Boras managed to once again get a team to bid against itself, and this time after that team said it wouldn't!

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly did the Yankees bid against themselves? They negotiated this thing in less than a day. The Yankees don't mind overspending for their players. Look at what they are offering Rivera. 4M MORE than then next highest paid reliever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Close only off by roughly 9 days.

[ QUOTE ]
The contract discussions have been going on for roughly ten days covertly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source
Old 11-17-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Arod signed because he never wanted to leave the Yankees but he simply wanted to get the best deal he could and Boras figured they could get a 300+ deal from the Yankees if they made other teams bid against them. Alex believed him and thus opted out on the advise of Boras. Boras convinced him that the Yankees were just bullshitting and would bid for his services along with several other teams.

That didn't happen. Boras ended up making his client even more hated by the population and Arod realized without a bidding war the Yankees were the team that could give him the best deal quickly so he could get this mess overwith. I think Arod cares about his legacy and would love to go down as a all time great Yankee. So he kissed and made up and said give me the best offer u woulda given me pre-opt out and lets get this done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is what YOU want to believe, not what actually happened.

And wow, this shows how much of a media charade sports is becoming, and it's just sickening. Lmfao, Boras lost rep? From who? What is Boras' job? An agent. What did he just do? AT THE VERY LEAST get A-Rod $50 million more for two years than he was going to get, and that's not including incentives. When so many types were doubting that A-Rod would be able to get what he wanted, A-Rod got better than what he wanted. A TEN YEAR contract? That is preposterous. Even eight years was stretching it.

How did Boras lose rep? Every other player saw this and is like, "Wow, Boras is just as good as he says he is." Every player that signs him always gets a monstrous contract, more than they should get. This enhances his rep with the only people that matter: the people who employ him.

And rofl @ A-Rod's rep damaged. Wow, you mean people are going to boo him at home? Why in the world should he care? He gets paid monstrous money for ten years, probably four or five years more than he will actually be worth in on-field production. Oh wow some mindless internet and real-life fans are going to whine, without realizing that A-Rod helps the Yanks more than the Yanks help A-Rod? Why should A-Rod cater to the ignorant anyway?

I love Boras precisely because he is great at his job, and that is what matters. The fact that he made you think not getting $350 million is a loss just proves how good he is, and the fact that you're making it into some personal battle rather than a business relationship shows that you're a bad poster and you don't know very much.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Arod signed because he never wanted to leave the Yankees but he simply wanted to get the best deal he could and Boras figured they could get a 300+ deal from the Yankees if they made other teams bid against them. Alex believed him and thus opted out on the advise of Boras. Boras convinced him that the Yankees were just bullshitting and would bid for his services along with several other teams.

That didn't happen. Boras ended up making his client even more hated by the population and Arod realized without a bidding war the Yankees were the team that could give him the best deal quickly so he could get this mess overwith. I think Arod cares about his legacy and would love to go down as a all time great Yankee. So he kissed and made up and said give me the best offer u woulda given me pre-opt out and lets get this done.

[/ QUOTE ]

And wow, this shows how much of a media charade sports is becoming, and it's just sickening. Lmfao, Boras lost rep? From who? What is Boras' job? An agent. What did he just do? AT THE VERY LEAST get A-Rod $50 million more for two years than he was going to get, and that's not including incentives. When so many types were doubting that A-Rod would be able to get what he wanted, A-Rod got better than what he wanted. A TEN YEAR contract? That is preposterous. Even eight years was stretching it.

How did Boras lose rep? Every other player saw this and is like, "Wow, Boras is just as good as he says he is." Every player that signs him always gets a monstrous contract, more than they should get. This enhances his rep with the only people that matter: the people who employ him.

And rofl @ A-Rod's rep damaged. Wow, you mean people are going to boo him at home? Why in the world should he care? He gets paid monstrous money for ten years, probably four or five years more than he will actually be worth in on-field production. Oh wow some mindless internet and real-life fans are going to whine, without realizing that A-Rod helps the Yanks more than the Yanks help A-Rod? Why should A-Rod cater to the ignorant anyway?

I love Boras precisely because he is great at his job, and that is what matters. The fact that he made you think not getting $350 million is a loss just proves how good he is, and the fact that you're making it into some personal battle rather than a business relationship shows that you're a bad poster and you don't know very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, basically.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They wont beat Boston next year. Hell, it would be nice to see ARod actually do something to help his win in the post season.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They wont beat Boston next year. Hell, it would be nice to see ARod actually do something to help his win in the post season.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your point? Do you even have one? ARod made a smart business decision end of discussion. Whether or not he under performs in the playoffs or the Yankees beat Boston is irrelevant. It isn't ARods job to beat the Red Sox. It's his job to play third base and hit to the best of his ability.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:54 PM

Truthfully I sort of think that he signed as an attempt to rival the Barry Bonds story. Attention whore
Old 11-17-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate agreeing with Vyse sometimes. Unfortunately, this is spot-on.

No one gives a [censored] what the random fan thinks about A-Rod - "Ohhh, he is a pussy and settled for less money; he's only in it for the money, blah blah blah." He negotiated the best contract he could for the job he is going to do for an organization that needs his skills.

What the [censored] is the difference between this and getting a raise from your boss because you might leave for another company?
Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did Boras lose rep? Every other player saw this and is like, "Wow, Boras is just as good as he says he is."

[/ QUOTE ]

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3115789