Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: taking a shot in LA

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In a new city with a new style of play, you should get your feet wet in the 20, definitely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[ QUOTE ]
I have 600 BBs for the 20 game and I still haven't moved up to the 40.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you haven't tried it, then how do you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

PJ has tried and beaten it albeit on the short run. I can attest to that and have a few extra dollars in my wallet as proof.

There is a difference between actual bankroll and emotional bankroll. It is the reason I have over 1000 bets an still play the 40. (although I did play 60 this week) Sometimes you are just not in the mood to toy with 5 or 10k swings. It has to do with many things and can certainly be -EV at times. It can also be +EV as well if playing in your comfort zone will allow you to play better or log more table hours.

There is a ton of psychology that filters in through all of this but much of it has to do with what we have done outside of poker and our understanding of the value of money. It is not surprising that so many 20ish guys are sitting in the biggest games. They are often very good but are also just constantly taking shots and have fearlessness with regards to going broke or even having a very large daily loss. They run good for a bit and there it is.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:50 PM

also, do yourself a favor, and dont go to the 40 after a winning session at 20 and say "well im basically freerolling it so i'll take a shot".. sometimes this makes you play less than optimally than you would if the money was more significant to you.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, do yourself a favor, and dont go to the 40 after a winning session at 20 and say "well im basically freerolling it so i'll take a shot".. sometimes this makes you play less than optimally than you would if the money was more significant to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is you are never really freerolling unless someone hands you a no-strings attached buy-in.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely disagree and think this is the absolute best time to take a shot.

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely disagree and think this is the absolute best time to take a shot. I did this when I was moving up through the limits at Canterbury. It takes a great deal of the stress off mentally. Plus, a lot of moving up is simply getting comfy in the games and realizing "hey, these guys don't play much better/different than the guys at my usual limit."
Old 06-23-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely disagree and think this is the absolute best time to take a shot. I did this when I was moving up through the limits at Canterbury. It takes a great deal of the stress off mentally. Plus, a lot of moving up is simply getting comfy in the games and realizing "hey, these guys don't play much better/different than the guys at my usual limit."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. I am gonna pile on here and agree as well. The main reason I like the idea is that we all play a little better when we are running good. Confidence is a pretty important aspect in shot taking and feeling like you have a solid edge will help you get quickly into your comfort zone and allow you to play your A game.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:56 PM

nothing wrong with starting at the 9-18 either. If you are playing correct that thing is like a $300 a day ATM