Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: question about child support

[ QUOTE ]
And as for a mans rights, he doesn't have any now! If you get some girl pregant you have NO SAY in what happens. She decides. And after the birth SHE DECIDES. You have to go to court to get visitation (if she doesn't want to work things out through negotiating with you).

[/ QUOTE ]

Your also forgetting the woman has to jump through legal hoops too in order to get the father to pay child support. The man decides wether to support the child, at least until he is forced otherwise by the state.

Stu
Old 04-14-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I am saying is that since women are allowed to take an action (abortion) prior to birth in order to alleviate all financial and legal responsibility of parenthood, men should have the same option.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "design" differences between the male and female bodies preclude the sexes from having perfectly equal options. However if you really want to sheild yourself from the financial and legal responsibilities of parenthood you can always get a vasectomy.

Stu
Old 04-14-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What I am saying is that since women are allowed to take an action (abortion) prior to birth in order to alleviate all financial and legal responsibility of parenthood, men should have the same option.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "design" differences between the male and female bodies preclude the sexes from having perfectly equal options. However if you really want to sheild yourself from the financial and legal responsibilities of parenthood you can always get a vasectomy.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a blame the victim argument.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And as for a mans rights, he doesn't have any now! If you get some girl pregant you have NO SAY in what happens. She decides. And after the birth SHE DECIDES. You have to go to court to get visitation (if she doesn't want to work things out through negotiating with you).

[/ QUOTE ]

Your also forgetting the woman has to jump through legal hoops too in order to get the father to pay child support. The man decides wether to support the child, at least until he is forced otherwise by the state.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe there are massive resources devoted to this issue. Time to equal the scales.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are completely wrong here. The father can sue for total custody or visitation rights. If he had no rights he could not sue. If he did sue without legal rights his case would be summarily dismissed.

The mistake you're making is you pretend a mans rights don't exist becuase the ones he does have don't appeal to you. Naturally your inclined to give up the few rights a man does have in order to relinquish his responsibility.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

First you misrepresent my post (by ignoring the jist of what I am saying) by talking technicalities, then you presume something that isn't true (that I am inclined to give up rights).

As far as responsibilities, I simply argue that males should have the same options as females. It's pretty clear you don't.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:09 AM

Here is my proposed law

all males should get a mandatory free vasectomy paid for by the government at the age of 12, and it should last till age 21 where any male can request to have it reversed. A male can request a waiver to reverse the vasectomy before 21 if he is going to be married and desires to have children (some might decide to keep it).

Why not? we get free vacinations against small pox, how about vasectomys so all the stupid young guys don't bring in children into this world out of wedlock? which is proven to cause poverty and just plain misfortune for countless children.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:41 AM

mandatory vasectomy? sign me up!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:08 AM

Yikes.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is my proposed law

all males should get a mandatory free vasectomy paid for by the government at the age of 12, and it should last till age 21 where any male can request to have it reversed. A male can request a waiver to reverse the vasectomy before 21 if he is going to be married and desires to have children (some might decide to keep it).

Why not? we get free vacinations against small pox, how about vasectomys so all the stupid young guys don't bring in children into this world out of wedlock? which is proven to cause poverty and just plain misfortune for countless children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Male are not the ones that 'bring children into the world'.

If you want to avoid children being brought into the world in a crazy manner such as you propose you sould be talking about steralizing females.

In any event men should not be punnished for having working reproductive organs, women are not punnished for this.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:44 AM

I agree with iron here. It's at least somewhat unfair to the dad, but it would be even more unfair that the child not be adequately supported.