Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Card dead again!

I would rather get involved in hands where I was on the button or in lp, not in the sb. And I am not calling with garbage, but pp's and suited connectors.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:00 PM

Yea, the SB can=disaster when you start calling with garbage hands, esp. raises.

Can't wait to post in the Brag forum when I finally do get smacked. It is not far off. I can smell it!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 AM

Accept small wins. In other words if you are up after an hour finish for that session rather than carrying on for another 2 hours.

Do this until you confidence in your game comes back.

It makes no statistical sense but it helps IMO HUGELY pschologically wise when on a bad run and it gives you confidence back in your game.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:16 PM

I feel your pain man!
I would suggest moving up to where they respect your raises. J/K
When you are playing low limit poker this will happen so you just have to accept it. Sometimes you don't get good cards or your good cards preflop don't connect with the flop. If every hand is going to showdown sometimes three or four ways and moves like checkraising, semibluffing etc... can't work againt loose/passive calling stations you just have to be patient.
When this is happening to me I like to get up and take a round off or maybe change seats or tables if that will make you feel better.
My last 4/8 session went this way. I was in a great game and I was super patient but every time I had a good hand I ran into a better hand or got chased down. After burning through almost three racks after 8 hours I just decided to leave to avoid tilting away more
Old 02-07-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel your pain man!
I would suggest moving up to where they respect your raises. J/K

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think this, but its even more painful when you don't get paid off everytime to have the nuts. Believe me!!

Ride it out, look for leaks and it will pass.

Swings are constant and its simply a case of having to get used to them
Old 02-07-2007, 12:32 PM

I was just kidding about the moving up that's what the J/K meant.
Also play more mid suited connectors and one gappers as well as any pocket pair in multiway pots. Don't open with these but if there is an open limper in a loose/passive game play these every time. You win big pots in these types of games with straights,flushes and boats.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:51 PM

One thought -- you may want to evaluate your starting hand requirements.

6 months back, I went through an extended 'dead' hand period. Eventually, I went back to the 'books' and looked at what I was playing under what circumstances. I found out that I was waaaaay tight, and this was looking at books that recommended tight play.

So, though I wasn't getting outstanding starters, it turned out that my cards weren't quite as dead as I thought they were.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:25 PM

I used to be ultra-tight playing LLHE but gradually opened up a lot and finally got a copy of SSHE and read it and I am rereading it right at the moment. It turns out that I was playing way too tightly back when I started which is a good thing for a newbie for sure. Now, I have opened up my hands a lot but just seem to be on a dead run which I just have to learn to deal with it when it happens. Just one of those times where not even small suited connectors are showing up at all. Happens I guess.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:20 PM

Cards seem to come and go during a single session. I've had plenty of people tell me that you can't depend on it, and I know the stats, I've seen it happen too many times to discount it completely. I can go two hours without any playable hands, then get 3 or 4 in a row, then nothing. If I get hands early, then it seems that I'll go card dead at some point. I know it, so I'm prepared.

When I'm in one of those dead zones and buzzards are circling my seat, I hunker down. The worst thing I can do is get impatient and start playing marginal hands. They are losers, and I know it. I am not losing much, throwing away hands. One pot and I'm close to or above where I started. If I'm down a few blinds, then I'm only flattening out my hourly rate from those times when I was white-hot and winning 20BBs/hr. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

At live low limits, I'm not convinced one can play "too tight." You get paid off on your big hands, as they don't pay any attention to how many hands you've played. Show down a few big hands, and then you can actually steal enough to pay a bunch of orbits' blinds. The only way you can steal.

Anyone can win when they have good cards. The real test is how you do when you don't get good hands for two or three hours. If you can break even or lose very little, you're a player. I try to lose a little when I lose, and win a lot when I win. Sounds simple. But it ain't.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone can win when they have good cards. The real test is how you do when you don't get good hands for two or three hours. If you can break even or lose very little, you're a player. I try to lose a little when I lose, and win a lot when I win. Sounds simple. But it ain't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truer words have never been spoken.
This is how you become a winning player!