Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 08:10 PM

Default S8/b - is it time to say uncle?

My only read: Villain is an over-agressive tag that keeps betting HU with top pair vs an obvious low draw/straight draw until he sees resistance. Scary boards need to be super-scary to slow him down.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (6.00 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (4.00 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (6.00 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___??????????????
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Old 07-20-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: S8/b - is it time to say uncle?

As your board can hardly be described as "super scary", i don't see any other option than to call, catch the 3 of clubs on 7th and raise him there.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:46 PM

Call. There's a good chance any club will scoop the pot and any low will get you half.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:17 AM

I think that this is only viable alternative. The other guy won't fold to a raise, and you can't possibly be winning.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:20 AM

How could you possible consider folding 6th st. there? And what's with calling 4th? You can't automatically give him a pair of aces and let him keep control of the action - he very likely caught a banana while you caught good.
I would raise 4th, call 5th, call 6th and raise 7th with any club and call with any made low or pair of 7's or bigger.

[ QUOTE ]
My only read: Villain is an over-agressive tag that keeps betting HU with top pair vs an obvious low draw/straight draw until he sees resistance. Scary boards need to be super-scary to slow him down.

[/ QUOTE ] Heads up that is precisely what gets the money. The variance is rough, but that's what gets the money.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would raise 4th,

[/ QUOTE ]

If I raise 4th, he is putting in another bet making it an expensive street and not accomplishing the goal you were hoping for. He is committed vs my board, he isn't going anywhere except to showdown.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:21 PM

TT, are you on a big downswing or something? You know better than that.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TT, are you on a big downswing or something? You know better than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The opponent description was very specific. He has a big pair, or a set 100% of the time here (big pair like (JJ)AQ is most likely), and gets agro with it because thats how he always plays - he knows I have a low draw, its plain as day yet he is re-raising to take the lead which he doesnt want to lose - thats his style of play, and the correct adjustment is to not spew chips.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:55 PM

Yeah, okay, but...so what? He can show you the other aces in the hole and it's totally irrelevant?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:49 AM

Hi TT:

This is an automatic fold on 5th street.

It's very easy to get caught up in a hand, especially in hi/lo. I have been in your position soooo many times but you need to step back and take a look at the hand (his and yours) and the real worth($) of your hand/draw against your opponents hand and how he is most likey going to play his hand throughout its course.

You are HU against an opponent who you read for at least a big pair. You have nothing but a low draw with NO draw for high. If you caught a much better/fitting card on 4th, you might want to call 5th, but right now, you are at best playing this hand just to get your money back. And now that you have called 5th, you are trapped again to call 6th because of the double draw that you picked up.

When playing HU pots in stud8, it's kinda like a "card-catching contest", but I'm being totally serious in the grand scheme of things. Look at your board...look at who your HU opponent is (ie; he's very aggressive and won't give free cards)...then ask yourself why you're calling a big bet on 5th after you totally broke off. Keep in mind, that your 4th street card is not as good as it may appear, especially HU. And what makes matters even worse, even if he was trying to represent a high hand and really started out with a low draw...you can't even beat his AQ and we're already on 6th street!

Bottom line: don't play the hand any further than need be (which will usually be once the big bet arrives)when there stands too good a chance that most of the time you will only get your money back. You are looking to scoop pots when you are HU, nothing more, nothing less. Of course sometimes hands/draws fizzle out, and knowing when to put them out is key. For me, it's a fold on 5th.

I do agree with you on not raising 4th street against this particular opponent, though. It's not as if you picked up some monster draw or anything...the pot needs to be kept small so you'll have no problem abandoning your cards if you fail to catch good on 5th, and that really needs to be thought about before we go ahead and spew chips into the pot, especially against an aggro opponent.