Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: please evaluate my life plan:

not sure how best to reply, so ill reply to each poster.

kimchi; it's not a worry as such, right now im very comfortable. in fact more comfortable than i could pretty much ever have hoped for. i should be in $20-25K of debt, instead playing a card game has massively reversed this. i genuinely am very happy with how fortunate ive been. however, obviously its not a vast amount, i would say my aim for x amount is more a desire, an ambition, a target/challenge, rather than a worry or a stress.

Mhoydilla; i could survive of this amount for a while, but not live a lifestyle to meet my wants, part of me would rather not have this mindset, but part of me loves the challenge.

jason; whilst this does sound very appealing, i am too risk averse to undertake it. i would spend my time worrying about whether my project would succeed and whether i had make the right decision to do this. not only does the accountancy route, albeit very dull, mean hopefully down the line i have some decent finances, but it means right now i am not concerned, becuase i know for a fact if i work hard, i will do well. as for the post about doing nothing vs opening a golf course, that would be great, something maybe ill be fortunate enough to do in my late 30s and 40s, but it's something that requires enough money that if it fails i am not crying myself to sleep.

jeffmet; thanks for making me feel im not completely mad for doing this. maybe its partly becuase 90% of my school and uni friends are also going for the safe, secure option that it feels right.

alex; tbh i havent looked much into mortgages, i just know from what ive read in uk money sections in the times how you can borrow up to usually 4.25 times your salary.

mhoydilla; this morning i followed your post a bit and went on experian.com to find out my credit rating. as ive paid everything on time there werent any sore points, although i didnt pay to see what my rating was, ill probably do that.

t50; i agree that my expenses are likely understated by a fair bit, but salary is definitely correct, it's the same as my brother's salary post qualification, although he didnt train with a big 4 and is now in industry rather than a bank, so im certain the salary is pretty corret.

also there is nothing unrealistic in living in a $1.2m condo on $80k posttax. given every spare hour i can make $150 minimum through poker (even 8-12 tabling at stakes which will never become that tough), even if i average say 8 hours a week (2 nights of 4 hours, pretty sure that is doable), thats already $345K in 6 years, on top of $220K i should have before i start a job, on top of about $500K salary pretax in 6 years, so say about $350K, thats a total of $900K. subtract 6 years of expensives, add a $400k mortgage, and i think its pretty ambitious, but not unrealistic.

and yep throughout this thread ive just done it on $2:£1

phine; indeed id be interested in such investments.

thanks everyone for replying so far, really does help.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:06 PM

I just looked into my crystal ball and YES this is your perfect life plan.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
reason is means to an end. hopefully come 10 years down the line it'll lead to a more interesting job, and for me importantly, a very secure financial future.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the goal is to do something that will lead to a more interesting job, I would be surprised if 3 years of accounting is the answer. Or certainly not the best one.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:41 PM

you're not crazy.

2p2 is just an absolutely terrible representation of the real world, and many people seem to think that what works best for them, as well as their values and goals, is best for others.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 AM

Accounting doesnt seem wise with your potential imo from what I know about you poker/investing wise.

Money from poker down the road will lead you to some more interesting jobs forsure. You can buy companies, become a ceo, run your own investments, even a % letting a money mananger do the rest, etc etc.

Given you make $150 per hour down the road, why not grind away instead of at a accouting job. I can see you with $2-4 mill in 6 years if you make $150/hr and work full time and invest. Also your expenses seem very low, and def. will help you accumulate more wealth easier.

From your point of view, your taking a job your not really interested in and rather take another bank related job but didnt want to put the effort into it. I think you should read up about picking jobs. Im reading a couple different books which give great point of views.

Sick place though, but I think you need to re-evaluate your life plan and make sure your picking the right job in your current shoes.