Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods 75/150 Omaha hi/lo and/or mixed game?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Call me before you leave and I'll let you in on my winning strategies that you have obviously not yet mastered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a tourney donk is not my specialty. Nor is winning coin-flips against your 9's when I push from the CO with AJ [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]Good memory.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:41 PM

It honestly sounds like you do not really want to lose this 4k and if that is the case you will probably not play as well as you normally would.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It honestly sounds like you do not really want to lose this 4k and if that is the case you will probably not play as well as you normally would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sell 1/2 your action so your only playing 37.50/75. This way you get your feet wet while not feeling the risk of fiscal ruin. This is what I did the first time I played 100/200 rotation games, it allowed me to mentally free myself of an guilt and I was able to look at the chips as bets rather than dollars.

BTW: Your first black on black action is a very special moment as a poker player. You won't ever forget it.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4k can go pretty quick in that game, its kinda passive, but if ur playing E ur paying 15 a hand, u fold so many hands, and then catch a good low on 4th and brick it thru, it becomes expensive, for me im always down in E and then scoop a big pot throughout the night, but its frustratin while ur waiting. ill be there thursday and friday if ur around, my names brian everyone knows me in the 20-40 hold em, and most know me in 75.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can see how stud could be more expensive. Then again, it's going to be a lot less hands per hour than I'd see four-tabling+ online.

I'm pretty strong at my recall ability, keeping track of board cards and figuring out what my opponents may be going for in stud games.

While I prefer O8 because I feel my starting hands are going to be significantly better than loose high-rollers playing garbage, I may have a bigger edge in the stud hi/lo rotation because of my ability to keep track of board cards and put my opponents on hands.

Also, I don't expect to be going this week, but I'm trying to be pro-active and plan ahead. I have a couple nights reserved after the first half of March during the WPT to play cash games. But I'm hoping to drive down and play a session of 75/150 before the WPT is in town, maybe make my buyin for a 100/200 or 150/300 game.

[ QUOTE ]
Good memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, my recall ability is quite good. It's helped me to develop a better "feel" for situations that seem familiar.

Then again, it can be a burden because I have all these past hands playing around in my head from a week ago, a month ago, six years ago, etc.

I even remember you saying something along the lines of "you making a move? You don't have anything." and then I looked at my position at the table and my hand and said "I have a hand given the situation" or something like that. And you wound up repushing to isolate because you probably didn't believe me.

May be a bit fuzzy, but I believe the blinds were probably around the 50/100 or 75/150 mark and I had 1K or 1,500 left.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an extremely good observation. I think my biggest worry is not having enough to play a session with. I'm confident in my abilities to play and do well. But I wanted to have an idea of the aggression and skill level, and regular buy-in for this type of game.

Obviously the more hands I can play, the greater my skill level over the competition has a chance to produce results.

I'd probably prefer with 4K to be playing straight O8 because I know how expensive stud rotations can get, and the variance is going to be higher in stud games than in O8. And I'm not too keen on Hold Em being in the rotation.

[ QUOTE ]
Sell 1/2 your action so your only playing 37.50/75. This way you get your feet wet while not feeling the risk of fiscal ruin. This is what I did the first time I played 100/200 rotation games, it allowed me to mentally free myself of an guilt and I was able to look at the chips as bets rather than dollars.

BTW: Your first black on black action is a very special moment as a poker player. You won't ever forget it.

TT

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice TT, although not sure where I'd find interested parties in such a situation.

Also, it was exciting to me when I moved away from the 1-5 spread limit stud games and played the 10/20 and then moved up to 20/40 games. I really enjoyed buying up green chips and tossing them around, and I'll likely get myself some black for the 75/150 game just cause I like the chips.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:57 PM

I would just scout the game before you jump in. If it's 5+ people ramming and jamming every street you should probably sit it out. Usually the Foxwoods 75/150 is not that crazy though so I think you'll be ok.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my (limited b/c I suck) experience playing 80-160 Omaha 8 in AC, the game was VERY ram and jam on most streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

in my limited experience in this game for the most part it was the exact opposite - very passive, like polar opposite of aggressive type of game... no super jamming draws, nut lows only, etc. though i never played the game after 1pm so maybe thats why, morning crowd
Old 02-27-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would just scout the game before you jump in. If it's 5+ people ramming and jamming every street you should probably sit it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there are 5+ people ramming and jamming in O8 I ain't sitting out baby! I may play pretty damn nitty and tighten up my hand selection to avoid marginal situations in multi-way pots, but other than that it sounds like a dream game to me.

[ QUOTE ]
in my limited experience in this game it was the exact opposite - very passive, like polar opposite of aggressive type of game... though it should be mentioned i never played the game past 1pm

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you say passive in loose/calling station types? Or passive as in three people to the flop at a full table of O8?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:35 AM

4k is fine. sure you could lose, but you know that. i don't know why people are saying he seems like he's scared money. not to me. i'd like to play that game i think.. so sick. if foxwoods was a 10 minute drive from my house i'd be there every day
Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4k is fine. sure you could lose, but you know that. i don't know why people are saying he seems like he's scared money. not to me. i'd like to play that game i think.. so sick. if foxwoods was a 10 minute drive from my house i'd be there every day

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree on that 10 minute drive thing. The way players are so bad at O8 I could probably do alright playing the measly 4/8 with a half-kill!

My only reservations about the trip to take a shot at 75/150 are:

* Hold Em rotation

* Stud hi/lo can get expensive

* Stud hi/lo is going to have more variance than O8

Still, if the game is relatively passive then I'm not too concerned. If it was crazy LAGTARD aggressive, then 4K would be an issue. But if it's loose/passive, I absolutely kill in both of those games in that type of setting. It's actually my preference.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in. I should be up there a few times in March.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:54 AM

I cant bear to sit in a game like that without 50 BBs. And you should be scared of the QQ29s and 2449 limpers because those are exactly the types of guys who are going to put beats on you that will send you to the bleacher seats before the variance evens out with your limited bank.

Good luck. As long as you dont go ice cold early, you'll be fine.