Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Laptop Power Cords

This has been an ongoing source of frustration for me..I own two different power cords for my Compaq Laptop. They consist of a cord that plugs into the wall, which plugs into a surge protector, which pugs into another cord, which plugs into my computer. (Hope that is clear)

When the power is working correctly, a light will be lit on the surge protector. I leave the cord plugged into the wall when I leave my office/home and just plug in when I arrive.

Here is the problem: About 50% of the time, when I plug in, the light, which was lit on the surge protector, immediately goes out the moment I plug in. My computer gets no power.

I then unplug the cord from the wall, wait a few minutes, and plug back in. The light will then come on (most of the time). Then, I plug the other end into my computer. Immediately, the light goes out, and I get no power.

I repeat this process, trying varying combinations of wait times and plug-in combinations. Somtimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The power cords are from two seperate makers...one is an "IGo", and I am not sure of the other.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2006, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Laptop Power Cords

I think I understand what you are saying but I'm not 100% sure.

Assuming I understand you, my question would be, what happens when you skip the surge protector and plug the laptop A/C cable directly into the wall outlet? Assuming that it always works, then we are dealing with a surge protector issue.

If it's a surge protector issue then it could simply be faulty. OR.....it is possible that when you plug the laptop in, a small power surge is traveling backwards towards the surge protector and it's tripping it. I don't know enough about electricity or how power cables work, so someone with more knowledge may say that is impossible? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Either way, if I'm understanding you, it sounds like the issue is with the surge protector. I'd try not using it for a little while to make sure that the issue isn't with the laptop power cord. If you don't experience any trouble with the laptop cord plugged directly into the wall, then I'd try a new surge protector.

Good luck
Old 08-01-2006, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think you are on to something with the surge protector tripping when I plug the laptop in. My problem is trying to figure out why this happens on two different types of surge protectors at different locations. It just seems too strange.

As for pluggig the computer directly into the wall, it is not an option. The cord from the surge protector to the computer is not compatible with the cord that goes from the surge protector to the wall.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:55 PM

Ok, I didn't understand that it was happening at two locations, two different surge protectors, and two different cords. That is wild. I would think that unless you've got two crazy power cords (very unlikely) that maybe the issue is with the power supply on the laptop. Mabye it is somehow sending a surge backdown the cord?

Not saying it will make any difference at all but here is a thought......next time, unplug the power cord from the surge protector. Then plug the cord into the back of the laptop. Now you have a laptop connected to a power cord that is not plugged into anything. With me? Now plug the power cord into the surge protector and see what happens. I think it might be interesting to see if it does the same thing as usual. Also when you plug the cord into the surge protector, I suspect it MIGHT have an electrical "pop" coming from the prongs of the cord. If so, that would lend creadance to our theory of some power traveling backwards down the power cord.

Just a thought. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Good luck!