Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Re: stud/8 - tilt makes you play badly

[ QUOTE ]
I was already on tilt after some moran grossly overplayed his buried Aces and won a big pot even though I had a 4-flush and 4-low on 5th and missed everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like I was the moron in that hand. HORSE is harder to quit than straight stud because you have to wait for the holdem round to get the rest of the free hands you've payed your blinds for. But yeah, playing while tilted sucks. One of the advantages of stud is you can just up and leave immediately without waiting for the blinds.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the advantages of stud is you can just up and leave immediately without waiting for the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're allowed to do this in flop games, too.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably fold third. Maybe raise fourth. Definitely raise fifth. Don't cap the river. Don't play when you're on tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]
+1
Old 08-02-2007, 01:23 PM

In my opinion there is much benefit in raising 4th, betting 5th and if necessary raising 6th. As played, it looks to me as though you're dead on the river and pacivicity loses at least half a pot.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the nice things about stud is you can just up and leave immediately without forfeiting equity by not waiting for the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP
Old 08-02-2007, 06:00 PM

Wait, why are people saying raise 4th- isn't 4th a clear fold?

I suck at stud8, but isn't our best case scenerio here to get up against seat 5 for half the pot with a hand that's going to often be beaten both directions?

(I know I shouldn't wanter into these threads ignorant as I am, but I've been reading Zee's book lately thinking about getting into Stud8).
Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, why are people saying raise 4th- isn't 4th a clear fold?

I suck at stud8, but isn't our best case scenerio here to get up against seat 5 for half the pot with a hand that's going to often be beaten both directions?

(I know I shouldn't wanter into these threads ignorant as I am, but I've been reading Zee's book lately thinking about getting into Stud8).

[/ QUOTE ]

While I'm tempted to agree with you, that 832A hand is pretty solid heads up; with ace high and a low draw, it's not often you are beat both ways equitywise (quite possible though). Raising vs calling vs folding depends on the situation, although I generally wouldn't fold. Raising is better if people will get out.

Anyways, 3rd is a fold, and also fold when the ace raises behind you. You often have no high with the 3rd best low draw, or the worst low draw when an ace raises like that. Be not fooled by the cheap price.

5th would be a sweet raise, although I certainly would have missed it.

Fold the river.

Sweetluckyme: I didn't know you posted here, or maybe I just don't pay attention. We should avoid playing each other in stud 8 sometime (assuming you're the same person as on absolute).