Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Live 20/40 game at borgata with dead kings

Howmany, she knows the bring in is 5.

Seems like the decision is split.
Results for those interested.

I 3 bet all behind fold. CG folds. OM calls.
4th and 5th we both blank off, he checks both streets to me and i bet both.
6th street he makes open 7's(his 5th street card was a 7 as well) but he still checks to me so i check behind.
He checks river dark as well?!?!

I plan on betting river improved checking unimproved as he won't call with worse if i bet. I catch an A on the river and check behind.

He shows 10's and 7's and takes it down.

Edited to add: I asked CG later what she had that hand and she told me she had 88 in the hole.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:36 PM

I agree without further comment.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 PM

Why even consider 3 bets on a dead hand at that point? IF you want to peel another card, call and if you catch good, and the others catch bad, you can check-raise or bet.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:11 AM

Because your hand is fav hu against range of bringin and OM, but will die a miserable death if 4 or 5 ppl make it to 5th street.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:25 AM

Calling here is horrible. You want to play this hand heads up or not at all. I'm inclined to say not at all, but if the ante is high, 3 bets is a must. The way the hand developed, I think you played it right on.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:31 AM

$3 ante.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:52 AM

The ante is almost irrelevant to this hand.

It's relevant, if at all, because it affects CG's initial range and may somewhat (by proxy) affect OM's - although it probably doesn't because I doubt OM's range ever changes at all. That's it. Whether you're 'fighting over' $18 + the bets, $15 + the bets or $30 + the bets is totally off topic because, at the point where the action is on us, all that we care about is what OM has and the chances that we're ahead of him. The pot odds involved are only marginally relevant and only come in if his range is small enough that raising/folding is breakeven.

If you feel like folding, justify it with the ranges involved, not the antes.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:59 AM

Call
Old 08-02-2007, 12:24 AM

Default When people bring it in for a full bet in a live game

[ QUOTE ]

If she knows the BI is $5 I am auto putting her on a 3 flush with an Ace probably. But then the old guy reraises. To be honest there is nothing that strikes more fear into me in poker than a man this old raising at any point in the hand, because these people are so close to death that any movement could be their last, so when they do something so bold as to raise it really means something.

If ANY other kind of player had reraised the bet I would suggest 3betting, but against a geezer I must fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my experience playing playing everything from 5/10 to 150/300 stud in AC, the most common reason someone brings in for a full bet is when they have some kind of marginal pair, but then they look around the table and see a couple of repeated doorcards and so they think they should protect what they believe to be the best, but a vulnerable, hand. I have only seen someone bring it in for a full bet with roll up or pocket aces a handful of times, and never when there are repeated doorcards out because they (correctly) don't want to kill their action with such a monster hand.

In live play, a majority of stud player have a tendency to play draws very passively (because most live stud players older players who haven't studied the math behind the game) so it is pretty rare to see someone bring it in for a full bet with a big flush draw. Amusingly, those same player who would never complete with their big flush draw often times are happy to cold call 2 bets with it...

Lastly, many of the players in live stud games could be classified as old geezers, so the usual assumption "old guy are tight passive" doesn't hold quite as well for live stud as it does for holdem. Given the description of the old man, I would say he his range here mostly includes all medium and big pairs.

Regards,
Carlos
Old 08-02-2007, 12:39 PM

Fold. Because a dead hand against two others showing aggression is a loser, and should be avoided.