Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Stud 8 aces after reraise

Live 10/20 stud/8. This wasn’t my hand abd I don’t have all the suits and folded cards. Early position raises with a king showing, and ace reraises. You have (4A)A. Do you flat call two raises or reraise?

I was at teh table, but this was not my hand. Don't know all the suits and folded cards. Will give action on later streets and later questions.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Stud 8 aces after reraise

re-raise. Hero will act first on the following street, he loses the positional advantage. K has to go bye bye fast.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:14 AM

OK, I guess that part is obvious. You want the king out and to play HU against the other ace?

You actually reraise, the king folds, and the ace calls. The ace catches an ace on 4th street for xxAA, You catxh a ten for (4A)AT, The pair of aces bets, What do you do and what is your plan?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:21 AM

I would need to know more. And I'd want to know the most about the player who raised with a King doorcard(ie; what his tendencies were, how tight he was, did he over value big pairs, how wide his raising range was etc). If he was a tight player (tight players usually don't raise with KKx in stud 8 and especially in bad position like he was in), I would just call and see what happened on 4th~5th.

Either way, though, I don't think smooth calling is a bad alternative--it will also make you/hand harder to read, which will make it harder for them to play more correctly against you(ie; pay off when they shouldn't/fold when they should call etc.).

Usually when I hold split aces/pocket aces in situations like this, I opt to just call looking for that added deception and/or to trap later on, maybe try to push someone out if it works where I think I can do it, OR, to get out cheap(er) (depending on how I see the hand playing out). It depends.

I'm really not looking for an over-inflated pot on 3rd and by keeping it smaller, it also allows my opponents to make earlier exits in the hand, which is definitely a plus for me.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:31 AM

Yeh, the reraise on 3rd kind of turned you hand face up, although it might not be a bad play with a low hand. If you let the kings stay in, they are probably drawing slim, but you may be playing two high hands against a low hand.

I don't like the raise by the king in bad position. Also, there was a king to act (me), the two aces, and two other low cards.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I guess that part is obvious. You want the king out and to play HU against the other ace?

You actually reraise, the king folds, and the ace calls. The ace catches an ace on 4th street for xxAA, You catxh a ten for (4A)AT, The pair of aces bets, What do you do and what is your plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

He has a low draw to go along with his A's, he almost never has a pair in the hole here. call, its likely he has the the best hand on this street but the results can flip in a second because of the 4 in the worst case scenario.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> http://twodimes.net/h/?z=2902490
pokenum -mc 500000 -7s8 4h ad ac ts - - ah 2c 3d as / kh
7-card Stud Hi/Low 8-or-better: 500000 sampled outcomes
cards scoop HIwin HIlos HItie LOwin LOlos LOtie EV
Ts Ac Ad 4h 161605 280419 218777 804 30572 8849 161 0.471
As 2c 3d Ah 190232 218777 280419 804 174684 4311 161 0.529 </pre><hr />
Old 07-28-2007, 08:29 AM

Re-raise - for both value and an attempt to get the kings out of the hand, increasing your scoop potential.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Call. Start betting/raising again when you make aces up and his low draw starts to brick. You know what his hand is, but he can't be comfortably sure about yours.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:17 AM

I think villain often has a 3-flush here.

Anyway, hero folded face up wihtout waiting for villain to bet, saying villain had to have 3 small cards or maybe aces up, and he was behind. I take it no one here likes the fold. /the pot was probably too big after so many bets on 3rd.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:28 PM

As everyone has said, three-town on third. Folding fourth is ridiculous. Folding Aces face-up is usually pretty ridiculous too.