Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Rolled up aces against a scare board, Press on anyway!? 30/60 7S8

7 Card Stud High-Low ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.67 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises

5th Street - (5.33 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (5.33 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

River - (5.33 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (5.33 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $320 | Rake $3

Seat 4: [Kc 5c 3c 5s 8d 4s Qd] (HI: a pair of Fives)

Hero: [As Ah Ac Kh 9s 6c 8s] (HI: three of a kind, Aces)

</font>

First to act, I checked expecting to be bet into for value or as a bluff on both fifth and sixth.
Did I miss a lot of value against villain's range? My three bet on fourth has to be good with my equity right?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Rolled up aces against a scare board, Press on anyway!? 30/60 7S8

Third's fine. Bet fourth, but when you get a fold and the other guy raises, I'd just call. By three-betting, you're letting him know that either

A) You're loaded or

B) You're an idiot.

These options are not mutually exclusive. Anyway, while you're ahead of his range, you're probably not a prohibitive favorite.

The Eight on fifth is somewhat unlikely to have paired him. There's an excellent chance that he's free-rolling, so I'm all for the chicken-call. Maybe he is paired up after all. Whoops, he caught another scary card. Gotta check again. It should feel weird to be checking rolled Aces like that, but I think your hands are tied.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:26 PM

I'm actually in favor of betting 5th. I agree that it's unlikely that the 8 paired him but if it did, then we're a 70:30 favorite and wish we got that bet in. If he's got 42 down then we're a 57:43 dog.

Obviously 6th street on we're forced to just call it down UI.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:18 AM

Bet fifth for sure. It's 30/60 - give him credit for getting the other low out of the pot on fourth.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Third's fine. Bet fourth, but when you get a fold and the other guy raises, I'd just call. By three-betting, you're letting him know that either

A) You're loaded or

B) You're an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why you feel the reraise is not a good bet. Yeah, it announces that he has a high hand, but I think, if he's going to lead out when he's showing (xx)AK when one of the apparent low draws caught a good card, didn't he already announce his holding? That's why, once the low draw decides to raise, why not jam it up then? Keep in mind that if the low draw bricks on 5th, he's probably not going to bet, so I feel that that extra bet on 4th that he extracts from his opponent has to have some value, no? Or do you feel that the 2 hands (if he actually held 4 to a low, that is) are too close and the reraise isn't warranted by hero?

Depending on the opponent, I may still lead out on 5th, but against an over aggro, I'd just check/call. I'd also check 6th but I would lead the river as I feel there is probably a little bit more value opposed to checking---even though it looks as if he has his low....not necessarily, he could just as easily paired up twice and he's probably going to be committed into paying you off whre if you check, there stands a great chance that he checks, too, especially that you played your hand strong early on. All in all, I think it was well played.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:23 AM

That board is nowhere near scary enough to surrender the serious value that rolled aces has here. Very few boards would be scary enough - it'd take something along the lines of 3 live suited babies showing on 5th before I'd consider slowing down.