Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Objective talking points for immediate troop withdrawl from Iraq

If you had to give someone, who has very little knowledge about the U.S.' situation in Iraq, an objective overview of the pros and cons of immediately withdrawing our troops from Iraq, what would you tell them?
Old 05-30-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Objective talking points for immediate troop withdrawl from Iraq

Occupations provoke resistance. Our presence is destablizing, not stabilizing.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:29 PM

Intelligence reports indicate that the war is fueling terrorism.

We're spending $2 billion/week with no measurable success.

The 9/11 commision report shows that America's aggressive foreign policy was the main motivation behind 9/11.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you had to give someone, who has very little knowledge about the U.S.' situation in Iraq, an objective overview of the pros and cons of immediately withdrawing our troops from Iraq, what would you tell them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your framing is fallacious. The troops over there are not "mine". Yet I'm forced to pay for them. If the people who want to do this stuff were the ones paying for it, instead of offloading those costs onto everybody else, we wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem.

I don't like jelly doughnuts, but my neighbor does. Fortunately, he pays for his doughnuts with his own money, so I don't really care about the "pros and cons" of him buying or not buying jelly doughnuts.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your framing is fallacious. The troops over there are not "mine". Yet I'm forced to pay for them. If the people who want to do this stuff were the ones paying for it, instead of offloading those costs onto everybody else, we wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem.

I don't like jelly doughnuts, but my neighbor does. Fortunately, he pays for his doughnuts with his own money, so I don't really care about the "pros and cons" of him buying or not buying jelly doughnuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, an important difference here is that even if your cash isn't used to fund a foreign war, the risk of potential retribution to you still goes up. Provoking anti-west sentiment in the Middle East has many costs including, but not limited to, the resources consumed to wage war AND the increased risk of retaliation. You're going to bear the risk costs anyway, so you should still "care", unlike the jelly doughnut example.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, poor wording aside, what do you, PVN, think are the pros and cons of the United States Armed Forces currently stationed in Iraq committing to a full withdrawl by the end of June.

Those who have answered... it may be harder for you, but what are reasons for staying?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:03 PM

Anyone with knowledge of military history and strategic theory knows that we cannot "win" the war in Iraq, as we have already lost it. We cannot force the opposing forces into a decision, and guerilla warfare is unwinable by the occupier as long as the defender has the will to continue to resist. The "insurgents" in Iraq have the will to resist indefinitely, and the only way to "win" would be to literally kill everyone in Iraq. Remaining in Iraq simply means more deaths of U.S. soldiers for no reason (we cannot win, so we are literally sacrificing their lives), more cost to taxpayers, and further hatred of America across the world. While pulling out will probably make the situation in Iraq worse, we shouldn't have been there in the first place. Just because Bush [censored] up and sent troops there doesn't mean we have any kind of "responsibility" to have our troops stay there indefinitely to support an artificial government we created.

The only "cons" for withdrawal are that when we pull out Iraq is pretty much [censored] and will likely turn into a pretty bad civil war. Without the threat of Iraq (which will be severely weakened no matter what happens and wil likely be partitionde or divided in several new countrys) Iran will possibly become regional hegemon (largest pop + strongest military + nukes + no more arch-rival Iraq), which could be bad. Some use the argument that terrorists attacks in Iraq may change to terrorist attacks in America, but those people usually are under the idea that Islamic terrorists hate us because we are "free," and not because we are occupying their land and couping their elected governments.