Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Joe Rogan - Shiny Happy Jihad

I listened to Rogan's new comedy CD, Shiny Happy Jihad, that came out a couple weeks ago, and it is way better than I thought it would be. Rogan has some seriously funny bits, especially about dumb people (he includes himself) and Catholicism/Religion. His style is a mix of some great comedians of the past (Denis Leary/Bill Hicks & Sam Kennison come to mind) and although his voice can be pretty annoying, you can tell he really enjoys what he does. You can get a sample of one of the tracks on his myspace page. Anybody else listened to it?
Old 04-21-2007, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Joe Rogan - Shiny Happy Jihad

I like Joe Rogan. He always seems really cool and down to earth and he had the guts to rip apart carlos mencina for stealing material despite the negative effects it might have on his career.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:15 AM

One of my hobbies is to listen to a bunch of Stand-Up Comedy CDs on Rhapsody. I just heard "Shiny Happy Jihad" and I think it's great. He has great delivery, and a lot of his material is very well thought out and genuinely gut-bustingly funny. I also enjoy the fact that he is very down to earth and not so much concerned with forcing his own political agenda on his audience.

That's where guys like David Cross fall slightly short for me. I know he's trying to get a message across, but after a certain point, the political stuff is really annoying and whiny to listen to. With less of the "I hate Bush" thing I think he could truly live forever.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised at Rogan's new CD, and it is currently my favorite Stand-Up performance to listen to. When I find a Stand Up CD I really like, I usually listen to it over and over again, is that weird? Whatever, it's good. I highly recommend it, for whatever that's worth.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:01 AM

Mind a list of a few great stand up CD's?
I have sirius and listen to comedy quite a bit, but which cd's are solid all the way through? (besides rogan's new one apparently)
Old 04-22-2007, 07:46 PM

I decided to get this based on this thread and I loved it.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Joe Rogan. He always seems really cool and down to earth and he had the guts to rip apart carlos mencina for stealing material despite the negative effects it might have on his career.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Perhaps I'm being naive but I don't see the downside for him. If anything, I'd think all the attention on that topic would be a bonus. I also remember Rogan complaining about Leary stealing material before. I think it's just something he likes to get worked up about on a fairly regular basis.