Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 11:30 PM

Default Re: x-post: help me gain weight

lol, are you really trying to argue that a guy who is borderline underweight should stay where he is?

EDIT: WOOHOO I just calculated my BMI: 25.1, OVERWEIGHT BABEEEEEE
Old 11-24-2007, 11:55 PM

You should really check out the Rippetoe program. Three months ago I was going through some girl-related depression, wasn't eating, drinking smoking alot etc etc. I was a [censored] VERY SKINNY 6'4" 165. I am now 195, follow the program. It is basically just a big change in your diet (that is not meant to be sustainable, just to give you a large boost in overall mass). I eat 3500 calories a day, drink alot of milk, eat alot of eggs, and I workout only 3 times a week, and I have seen a huge improvement.

I lost the abds that I had naturally just from having such a low body fat, but they are stronger now, and when I get off this rediculous diet once I get to my desired weight goal (210), I will change my diet and my exercise regime.

Just google for Rippetoe program. You'll find it and it absolutely works.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:31 AM

If you want to gain muscle mass,

1) Get on a solid 3-4 day/week full body workout program that MUST include compound lifts (deadlifts, squats, etc)
2) Go to t-nation, read all the dieting articles, learn WHAT to eat and HOW MUCH to eat. This is the most critical part of your plan. For that kind of weight gain I suspect you'll need 3k-4k calories a day and 225-275g protein per day. This is hard work -- much harder than the workout part of your plan. 6 meals a day w/ protein in every one.
3) Learn about post-workout nutrition, also at t-nation. Make sure you are on top of this.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:44 AM

Like you constantly hear at t-nation, eating right and enough is very underrated, especially for some body types. As a natural ectomorph(despite a lifetime of being VERY athletic, people constantly asked me if I ran marathons ON SIGHT), I had to eat enough to virtually make me sick to gain weight, AND cut way way back on aerobics. Every body type can gain weight, but it may not be pleasant and you may have to change your ideas of fitness to get there.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, are you really trying to argue that a guy who is borderline underweight should stay where he is?

EDIT: WOOHOO I just calculated my BMI: 25.1, OVERWEIGHT BABEEEEEE

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his low weight is only a problem if he's anorexic.
Just make sure he eats at least 2500 calories a day.

BMI is overrated. Many athletes have BMI of over 30 and are not overweight. While I have seen people with BMI at 25 who look fat. It's % body fat which determines who's overweight.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:50 AM

The low end of BMI definitely makes sense. If you're underweight, you're underweight. It's not like someone at that level is even capable of a >10%BF or healthy amount of muscle mass. Sure I guess if you are a wrestler you might be strong with 5%bf and still underweight, but even that is really pushing it.