Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Anyone use satellite internet?

I'm moving out to the stix, no DSL, no cable, and I'll be forced to shell out the cash for a sattelite internet dish.... Do any of you guys use this? If so, would I still be able to 10-table without any sort of lag? The package I'm looking at is a download speed of 1.0Mbps with an upload speed of 200Kbps. Does anyone know if this would affect my ability to fill 2 monitors up with tables like I've been used to doing?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Anyone use satellite internet?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm moving out to the stix, no DSL, no cable, and I'll be forced to shell out the cash for a sattelite internet dish.... Do any of you guys use this? If so, would I still be able to 10-table without any sort of lag? The package I'm looking at is a download speed of 1.0Mbps with an upload speed of 200Kbps. Does anyone know if this would affect my ability to fill 2 monitors up with tables like I've been used to doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are pretty much screwed. I don't know if you can 10 table or not, but I know the Up on a dish connection is basically the same as dialup, they may boast 200KPS, but I don't think you can get more than 56K b/c you are going through the phone line to upload. Down at 1M is probably what you'll get.

Have you thought about a wireless aircard?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:12 PM

Location: Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is likely a better solution than satellite. Even if you don't have a laptop you can buy an adapter to use the aircards w/a desktop p00ter.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is likely a better solution than satellite. Even if you don't have a laptop you can buy an adapter to use the aircards w/a desktop p00ter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, and I believe they even have routers now that you can plug the aircard into for a home network setup, with the aircard plugged in the router and the router sending the signal to every device connected to the router either wired or wirlessly.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:17 PM

I signed up with satellite internet a couple of weeks ago and am relatively happy with the service.

I didn't know about the download limit and just went crazy downloading music since I never could on dial-up.

But since then I've used it every day for poker (I only play 8 tables at a time) and haven't noticed any lag issues.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:38 PM

I used to have satellite and used it for a couple years playing poker. The people saying you will have trouble are just guessing I assume.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:49 PM

I have been using satelite internet for almost 2 years. You will have no problems. I have played up to 9 tables. My connection could handle more but I couldn't. I routinely play 4 tables and surf the web at the same time.

Modern systems do not use your phone line to transmit. You will get ping times of up to 2 seconds but it's not bad. I can still play on turbo tables. An added benefit is that the high ping times make it impossible to play online first person shooters or MMORPGs so you won't be distracted from poker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's moving to the stix where they don't have cable then it is highly unlikely he will get decent speeds via a wireless aircard.

I have the Verizon card which is fastish in big cities.
But away from the city (on the highway or in the stix) you are just getting borderline-ish dial-up speed.

FWIW - I played 8+ tables on dial-up until 2005 without any troubles really.
You don't need a hi-speed conncetion to play internet-poker...just one that has stability.

Semi-related question:
Are there satellite-type cards or hook-ups that work internationally?
I saw those 'centrino mobile technology' commercials with the guy on his laptop at the North Pole in the middle of nowhere or something but when I tried to reserach that stuff I mostly drew a blank or was pretty confused.

Anyone with info on this type of thing?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I signed up with satellite internet a couple of weeks ago and am relatively happy with the service.

I didn't know about the download limit and just went crazy downloading music since I never could on dial-up.

But since then I've used it every day for poker (I only play 8 tables at a time) and haven't noticed any lag issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

What service did you go with Mark if you don't mind my asking? I'm looking into Hughes Net and WildBlue
Old 05-19-2007, 09:51 PM

I went with HughesNet.

Basically same price but they claim slightly faster speed.

And the $100 rebate is nice since installation isn't cheap.