Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 01-30-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Documentaries

Mail order wife is hilarious how sad the guys are, they could be any 2 guys from 2+2.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:35 PM

Dope Sick Love about heroin addicts in NYC is a little dated but entertaining.

Also there was a good documentary about Rikers island prison but i can't remember the name.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:35 PM

I found Rize (Dave LaChapelle) a documentary about Clowning/Krumping dance styles to be real interesting.

Obviously Inconvenient Truth was good.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:36 PM

Grey Gardens: 60s doc about these two crazy old wasps ladies (mother and daughter) on Cape Cod living in a crumbling old mansion that's overgrown with weeds. One of the first docs to acknowledge and address the impact a filmmaker has on his subjects.

Of course, Grizzlyman does this more explicitly, as do most Wener Herzog docs.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:36 PM

I enjoyed the following

51 Birch Street - Documentary filmmaker Doug Block didn't plan on doing a documentary on his parents. However, within months of his mother's sudden death, his father marries his former secretary and Block realizes his parent's marriage may not have been as good as he thought it was.

In the Realms of the Unreal - Fascinating documentary about Henry Darger, a janitor who lived a poor, solitary life. At the end of his life his landlord discovered a 15,000 illustrated novel entitled "In the Realms of the Unreal" in his room. Dakota Fanning narrated. In the Realms of the Unreal

Game Over: Kasparov and the Machine - A look at Kasparov's match against Deep Blue from his perspective. The documentary deals with Kasparov's suspicion that human intervention was involved and the affect it had on him and the match.

Tarnation - Filmmaker Jonathan Caouette's documentary on growing up with his schizophrenic mother. Probably a bit to disturbing to say I enjoyed this, but it was interesting viewing.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:41 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard great things about No Driection Home: Bob Dylan http://imdb.com/title/tt0367555/. A documentary about Dylan directed by Scorsese - what more could you want?

Hoop Dreams is my personal favorite doc as well. It's probably the only documentary I've watched several times, and every time I get through it, I think the same thing - "I can't believe that movie is 3.5 hours long." It just flows so well, and is really easy to get immersed in and sit through.

The only other recommedation I can think of off the top of my head is Dust to Glory http://imdb.com/title/tt0386423/, an entertaining film about the Baja 1000, an annual off-road race held in Mexico. The scenery and camerawork are particularly top-notch. A well-put-together piece for such a low-budget movie.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:42 PM

American Dream (imdb link) is a great documentary about a labor strike at a Minnesota meat packing plant. I was impressed with how well the film shows the different parties affected by the strike: the workers and their families, the townspeople, the management, and the union negotiators; and manages also to paint higly personal individual portraits.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:43 PM

the smartest guys in the room - enron scandal. solidly made. entertaining. helps explain a lot of the scandal to a lot of people who really have no idea of what happened at all.

the kid stays in the picture - highly entertaining 'documentary' about the life of famous producer robert evans. i really, really enjoyed this film. it was fast and engaging. narrated by evans of course, who does an amazing job.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:44 PM

El D,
I seem to remember you mentioning being a fan of The Flaming Lips. I think there's a documentary called Fearless Freaks, if you haven't seen it/heard of it you may be interested in checking it out.

I've been wanting to see Cocaine Cowboys for a while now seems like it would be really good.

I actually own 20% of a documentary about Ramblin' Jack Elliot and a few other old musicians called Pioneer Troubadours. The project is kind of still unfinished and my involvement is only financial but hopefully the guys doing it will get their act together and finish the movie. At this point I'm kind of doubtful it'll ever be finished (hippies....) but they're good people and I'm holding out hope it'll happen eventually.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just saw something on the news last night about The Bridge which is about people committing suicide off the Golden Gate bridge over the course of a year. It stirred controversy for several reasons, and I think I'm going to catch it. The filmmaker used four cameras at two locations to film, and then afterwards, talked to the families about the person who jumped. It looks like it's still making the rounds in art house theatres, but has anyone seen it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Recent thread.

Still haven't seen it yet.