Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 11-29-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Re: The Ceiling Concept

In other words the games get harder as you move up?
Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 PM

yes and no.

no because its no just the games getting harder but there are less places you can invest your money at a higher return
Old 11-30-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the point above is a little crazy. i mean if there was only warren buffet. he would be just as lonely as doyle brunson. and the funny part about that is they would both be old people clinging to pieces of paper that basically mean nothing. Stocks and cards really are nothing, they both get their power/value from everyone agreeing they have value. just like money. So if only warren buffet owned shares they won't be worth a dam thing, unless they were voting shares but you knwo what i mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading this I give up on you. Too stubborn to even try to understand. My last effort and as simple as possible. Doyle cannot make money playing poker by himself, Warren can make a fortune investing by himself. You are constructing a ceiling based on percentages not in absolute dollars so I see no value in that statistic. I can spend dollars, I cannot spend percentages.

Jimbo
Old 11-30-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes and no.

no because its no just the games getting harder but there are less places you can invest your money at a higher return

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this why that bryce dude is quitting poker?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:12 PM

The ceiling concept could apply at different stakes - you can only win so much playing 100NL. You could increase this if the stakes became 200NL so you should move up (this assumes your skill in relation to opponents is the same which it wouldn't be). You should therefore increase stakes. If you get to the highest stakes and are still constantly winning, there is no way to make more money per hour (aside from eveyone agreeing to increasing stakes).

However, your argument to then do something else is short sighted. Garbage Men don't get paid as much as Doctors but they don't go 'I want more money, i'll be a doctor'. Poker Players can't suddenely be good on the stock market. Even if they could they may prefer to dedicate their time to poker as they enjoy it more.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:15 AM

Interesting argument
'However, your argument to then do something else is short sighted. Garbage Men don't get paid as much as Doctors but they don't go 'I want more money, i'll be a doctor'. Poker Players can't suddenely be good on the stock market. Even if they could they may prefer to dedicate their time to poker as they enjoy it more.'

I am advocating taking there money out of poker and putting it into the stock market. But I don't mean that they should do it themselves. I look at poker as an intellegent way to invest time and money in the hope of making more money. So i think the ultimate goal of a poker player is to take his 10k dollars or whatever and increase that by a percent, with a limit risk of going broke.

If we can assume that is true, then the concept of reaching the top of the market, so that investing your money either becomes to much of a risk or involves to much time without the same reward then you have to look for different avenues to make money. I would suggest that investing in the stock market would be one of them.

I would not suggest that David Benyamine when he had 4 million dollars start to look at stocks all day, however when you have that much capital, good investors and money managers will happily accept your money into their investment pool, and treat it well.

When you have 50k and try to get a money manager/investor you have a much smaller selection because all the best ones are handling large accounts.

This is all obvs. stuff but what i'm trying to say is that...earning a sold profit in poker at 600nl tables with a low chance of going bust-o should be farely easy for an exeptional poker player, however when playing the highest limits there is very very little selection in your games and your either risking to much of your bankroll or to little to see a noticable profit. So when that becomes true, your money is better spent in the hands of a top notch investor, rather then you.

You've basically out-grown poker as a forum of investment.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:35 AM

what really happens is that as you move up you have a smaller edge each time but make more money as you bet more. and since players spend so much time playing they accumulate so much more money than they can ever spend so no need to make more. but you can continue to move up thru other gambling investments when you reach your level of play or there is no higher game.
yes once you make mega millions it is now not playng bankroll but investing bankroll.