Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 02:13 PM

Default K-high calldown blind battle

Villain has 30/20 stats, but I don't think he's that solid of a player, probably the type to think of a line on the flop and play it regardless of what hits. Against a solid TAG I'd probably lay down on the river since he'd know by this point that an A-high is calling down and would give up the bluff. I rarely make the K-high calldown, but the pieces seemed to fit together for this one. We like?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

Bonus question: What other rivers would you consider calling down here?
Old 05-31-2006, 03:52 PM

Default Re: K-high calldown blind battle

Seems fine.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

nate,

are there any alternatives you mix it up with? would you ever c/call the flop here? seems like you get raised about always and have no FE vs this type of player....
Old 05-31-2006, 04:11 PM

I have been ending up in situations like this all the time, OOP vs a combative player with no FE prfelop or on the flop and almost certain to be 'tested' somewhere in the hand.

What's the general consensus for situations like these? Tighten up considerably, only play hands with decent SD potential and check-call a lot beyond the flop? I've been really getting pwned in these situations and need to adjust my overall approach.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seems fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

nate,

are there any alternatives you mix it up with? would you ever c/call the flop here? seems like you get raised about always and have no FE vs this type of player....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see much alternative other than betting and determining based on board cards and other cues whether to call down.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seems fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

nate,

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see much alternative other than betting and determining based on board cards and other cues whether to call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

you could c/call the flop and do the same, no? i've been reading eric lindauer's essays on strategy in small pots... that's what gave me this idea. i may be mis-applying it though.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:15 PM

I don't think the turn is a standard call. I don't say fold every time but calling 100% of times doesn't look +EV