Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Your Favorite beers? The Great Beer Brewery Roadtrip \'07

I'm not sure where to post this. But considering most 2p2s are college age kids with an appreciation for beer I decided this would be the place.

Next year I'm going to be a senior, and i've decided with one of my good friends to drive back to school all the way from arizona to new york. but this isn't going to be your typical roadtrip.

We have decided to make it 'The Great US Beer Brewery Roadtrip 07'.

We want to stop at the country's greatest microbreweries: drink some pints, watch the hops ferment, and just experience the US of A.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Any particular microbreweries/beers/places you would recommend going?

As of now, there are a few musts on our list: Stone brewery and Anchorsteam brewery in CA, Fat tire in Fort Collin's, Brooklyn brewery in NY, and maybe Magic hat in vermont.

any and all suggestions are much appreciated. We want to see this amazing country and be tanked while doing it.

We're looking for places that are somewhat on the way back to NY. We don';t have to make a straight line, but we're probably not going to any breweries in Alaska.

Thanks guys,

-Rockusteady
Old 03-13-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Your Favorite beers? The Great Beer Brewery Roadtrip \'07

If you're going to New Belgium (where they make Fat Tire) in Fort Collins, you can hit a bunch of microbreweries in Colorado, especially in Denver and Boulder....suggest going to New Belgium, Odell, Boulder Beer, Coors (not a microbrewery, but still cool) Breckenridge, and Great Divide. There's a bunch of others that are brewpubs and don't sell their beer commercially....like Pint's Pub and Wynkoop in Denver.

Maybe duplicate this question in The Lounge Beer Club thread?

TLDR Beer Club Thread

Good luck in your quest!

ScottieK
Old 03-13-2007, 05:50 PM

New Glarus Brewing Co: New Glarus, WI
Goose Island: Chicago, IL
Old 03-13-2007, 06:07 PM

Great Lakes Brewery is somewhere in Ohio, and has a decent selection. Also, Victory Brewing is in Eastern Pennsylvania, and if you're going up to Vermont, on your way you should try to hit the Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown, NY.

edit: At Great Lakes, try the Nosferatu if they have it (i'm not sure what season it runs, probably winter). At Victory, I don't think you can really go wrong with any of their beers--Whirlwind is a great seasonal, the Hopdevil is delicious year round, and Golden Monkey is a little spicy, not too common a flavor as far as beer goes, but will knock you on your ass. At Ommegang, try the Three Philosophers.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:13 PM

Boulevard Wheat Brewery in KC MO
Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 PM

While you're in California, you need to head up north to Chico, California, home of the Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. They have a large brewery there with a free tour (free tasting) and a large, classy restaurant known as The Big Room. They're most well-known beer is the Pale Ale. My favorites include the Bigfoot Barleywine Style Ale (9.6% ABV), Celebration Ale, Brown Ale, Porter and Stout. But, it's all good. You really can't go wrong. They have a sampler platter for $8 (a total steal!) where you'll get to try 2oz. of every beer they have on tap that day (usually 16-18).
I'm glad you mentioned you'll be going to the (brand new) Stone Brewery. I've actually never been to the brewery and am planning on going within the month. I can't wait.
If you would like to read more about the beers you're about to try, I would highly recommend going to www.beeradvocate.com . Friendly people there and thousands of reviews of all sorts of brews.
Enjoy. Have a good time. Be safe.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boulevard Wheat Brewery in KC MO

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what came to mind when I read this topic. God I love Boulevard Wheat. Are the other variates good?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 PM

I watched this show one time called Beer Nutz. It was just these two guys that got paid to travel around the country and go do what you are going to do, so I would look around to see if they have a website or something. It was on DirecTV at a friends house on one of the HD channels. Anyways, I know there are some fantastic ones in Denver, so check that out.

Edit: Beer Nutz home page
Old 03-13-2007, 09:33 PM

Definitely need a stop at:

Ommegnag (cooperstown New York)
Victory Brewery (Downington PA)
Dogfih Head
and Bell's Brewery (Galesburg MI)
Old 03-14-2007, 09:23 PM

Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville, PA offers a great tour. They recently (last 2-3 years) opened up caverns to the tour which had been boarded up since prohibition ended.