Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Re: The Well: cmyr

Great post, best thread in ages!

Do you set yourself goals in terms or how much you are going to play a particular week/month? do you play at set times during the day??

I also notice your went to showdown is fairly low (20%) compared to mine and other players at my level (about 26% @ $1/.50) is that something thats specific to higher stakes or did you play with these stats at lower games as well? could it possibly be that you dont get as many calling stations at higher levels so your flop/turn bets win more without resistance
Old 08-20-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What made you decide to play PLO exclusively?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to try playing to support myself for a summer, and it came down to either playing PLO or SNGs. SNGs are boring, and I saw a lot of room for forward growth in PLO.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you play on Stars and Full Tilt? Which do you like better? Why? Do you play on any other sites?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive been playing on FTP For ages, and so I prefer the software. Stars is being annoying about increasing my deposit limits, so I havent been playing there very often. I play on a bunch of other sites, although right now thats been mostly iPoker and Prima. I play multiple sites purely for game selection.

[ QUOTE ]

How long do you think the dead money will exist in medium to higher stake PLO games? Do you think that the gap will close more quickly or less quickly than the NLHE gap did? Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing about PLO is that you can play it quite badly and still be a winner over 20k hands. Its a very desceptive game, that way. Similarly there are alot of small winners who are still very much dead money, but who are better then the drop-in fish, and those guys are going to keep playing even once the games start moving past their level of aptitude and they start being -ev. I make $$ of of those guys.

I think the gap will close slightly slower, since theres no formulaic way to play PLO... not that theres a formula for NL, but at least you can have starting hand charts etc. Alot of the important PLO concepts aren't in BTs videos and are only really whispered on this forum, and it doesn't matter how well you 3bet PF if you dont know when to get it in.

[ QUOTE ]

How much do you cashout each month on average? As your bills grow (mortgage, etc.) do you still see yourself paying all your bills mostly by playing online PLO?

[/ QUOTE ]

I cashout enough money to pay my bills and for my groceries the next month (2200ish) and then 10% of my net earn - 2200. This is spending money, which goes towards whatever. Mostly good meals and travel, really. If I dont make any money in a month I pay my rent and stuff out of my emergency fund, and then pay it back the next month.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you still see yourself paying all your bills mostly by playing online PLO?

[/ QUOTE ]

forgot about this one:

I'm really not thinking about it that much, but I have been day dreaming about buying a house next summer. My dad's a carpenter and I have alot of friends in the 'skilled-trades' (our new euphemism for plumbers and electricians) and I think it'd be really fun to get some of those guys together and renovate a big place. If that plan happened I'd be playing cards to (try and) pay for all the work.

I'm really not sure how long this poker thing will hold my interest, but I think it'll be another couple of years and I hope in that time I'll be able to save up some pretty serious money. Hopefully by the time I'm buying a house I'll be able to make mortgage payments out of my savings.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, which is the game you play most and why?

Full ring
Six Max
Heads Up

[/ QUOTE ]

I really enjoy fullring and am pretty good at it, but it doesn't run that often and I have alot of trouble playing both full-ring and 6max at the same time, so I tend to focus on 6max. I'm probably best 4-5 handed. I don't play headsup that much, but I will to start a table. It isn't a game I tremendously enjoy, although as I move up I'm going to have to get more comfortable with it.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:12 AM

This is a great thread, dude.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has there been a level you've reached thus far where you felt like the games really got significantly harder and decreased your winrate? On Bodog, it seemed like the 5/10 was often softer than the lower games, and in general, it seems like there's less correlation between stakes and skill level in PLO then in other games, but I was wondering if at 5/10 or at 10/20, you found any kind of plateau there that maybe wouldn't be present moving say from 0.5/1 to 1/2.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's often very site specific. I still feel 2-4 is different from 1-2 on most sites, but occasionally you'll get lucky. 5-10 is pretty soft alot of the time.... you get the richer drop-in fish. on FTP, I notice the 10-20 tends to be all regs, and most of them are decent... still exploring that game to see where my earn is. I've always mentally seperated 25-50 from the lower stakes, although that's probably a mistake. I suppose I'll find out.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I'd be interested to know which sites you play on right now. Do you have a primary site and then others you use when you have a hard time finding good games? Do you have more money on one site than the others?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have as much money on any given site as I need to play the games I want to play. My general guideline is 10bi. on sites where I have trouble getting money I'll often have a bit more so I don't risk being out of action for a bit.

When I start my day I fire up FTP, Prima (royalcardclub) and ipoker (noiqpoker) and check to see what's running. If there are ipoker and prima games going I'll often sit in them first, since I think I have a slightly higher expectation. If there are 4 or 5 FTP games going though I'll often play in them, since only having to get used to one piece of software is a big advantage.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you set yourself goals in terms or how much you are going to play a particular week/month? do you play at set times during the day??

[/ QUOTE ]

I try not to keep arbitrary goals because it often negatively impacts my earn... if I make myself play an extra two hours when I'm not feeling well, it's probably -ev. That said, I try to play about 25 hours a week.

This summer I've tended to play early in the day, since that's how my schedule has worked out... since all my friends have had day jobs, if I want to go out and have fun it's often going to be at night. During the year that will reverse a bit more since I'll have school and being social more during the day. Generally though I play when I can find the time.

[ QUOTE ]

I also notice your went to showdown is fairly low (20%) compared to mine and other players at my level (about 26% @ $1/.50) is that something thats specific to higher stakes or did you play with these stats at lower games as well? could it possibly be that you dont get as many calling stations at higher levels so your flop/turn bets win more without resistance

[/ QUOTE ]

I never played much NL or Limit Holdem, so I've never gotten that used to using alot of the stats in PT to evaluate my play. My original suspicion was that my WSD% was lower because you were only seeing hands where there were 6 players dealt cards, but over my last 50k hands unfiltered it's only about 21.5%. Not sure why this might be, although as my AF is something around 4.2 it may be that not that many pots are getting shown down. Maybe somebody else can come up with some better theories.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:34 AM

can you talk a bit about your c-betting strategies? when to c-bet, when not to...

great thread btw
Old 08-20-2007, 12:47 PM

Were you playing PLO side games during the WSOP main event this year?