Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 05:27 PM

Default AJs Aggression Line Check

9/18

Table has 1 semi-maniac who raises with any 2 suited cards (and I mean any 2) as well as any 2 broadway cards. His frequent raises have induced most of the table to play loose and cold call raises a bit light. There are several other bad, loose calling stations, and only 1 tight player who would be good if he wasn't overly predictable and a bit weak against aggression.

Preflop:
Hero raises first in late EP with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], MP1 (weak loose) calls, MP2 (plays too far with marginal hands, loose) calls, villian calls in MP3, LP1 calls, LP2 calls.

Flop: 6 players, 13.5 sb
2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, villian bets, LP1 calls, LP2 folds, Hero raises, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, villian calls, LP1 calls.

Turn: 3 players, ~10bb
6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets, villian pauses and calls, LP1 folds.

Just wanted to get a line check on the aggression here. Villian was capable of betting out the flop without a Queen, but hadn't shown the spine to play back without a hand. The raise was to drive out the loose caller between us, as well as set up a bluff or semi-bluff on the turn.

Too aggressive? Just right? Comments on any street, or plans for the river?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: AJs Aggression Line Check

This board is pretty dry. I'm not sure what else villain is betting with that isn't a pocket pair or a Q. I'm also not really sure what you accomplish by c/ring this with one overcard and your backdoor draws - especially vs these kinds of opponents who might call 2 cold with their whatever.

This seems like a spewfest to me. I'm c/cing the flop and folding the turn UI.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This board is pretty dry. I'm not sure what else villain is betting with that isn't a pocket pair or a Q. I'm also not really sure what you accomplish by c/ring this with one overcard and your backdoor draws - especially vs these kinds of opponents who might call 2 cold with their whatever.

This seems like a spewfest to me. I'm c/cing the flop and folding the turn UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Pot is big, so I say peel off a 9 dollar card. I can't see winning this hand UI.

Of course once you do the c/r on the flop, play the turn like you've got pocket queens [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For clarification, the loose callers were very loose preflop, and peeled quite a bit, but rarely cold called 2 when they didn't catch a lot of the flop. I was pretty confident that I'd drop the callers with the c/r.

My image was super tight and only moderately aggressive as well. Showed down only premium hands and in 2+ hours I don't think I got caught raising without the nuts. Villian has definitely logged this.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:01 PM

Why do you think he's betting light into a big field?
Also, your flop c/r looks just weird and unbalanced if he's got you pegged as a TAgg.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think he's betting light into a big field?
Also, your flop c/r looks just weird and unbalanced if he's got you pegged as a TAgg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not certain he is betting light, but he's tight enough preflop that he'd fold or 3-bet premium hands that held a Queen, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't have AQs or QQ. His most likely hands are pocket pairs smaller than JJ or 1010 (he likes these and always coldcalls with them) and medium strength hands that connected with the flop (KQo, QJs).

With either of these, he could bet out hoping I held AK or some other unimproved hand. My c/r was meant to put a bit of fear into him that I might hold exactly what his range most fears... AQ, QQ, KK, AA. My read was that shown enough aggression he could find a fold with the weaker of his made hands.

About this appearing unbalanced, there's some truth to that. As a TAG he'd probably assume I'd bet out with most of my premium holdings. Something to think about, not sure it ruins the play I was going for or not. The table was wild enough and there were enough people in the hand that going for a c/r with a strong hand here wouldn't have been that unusual. I wouldn't do it in most cases, but I don't know for sure that he'd picked up on that.

I'm not married to this play having been best, hence my posting it here for discussion. At the time I was pushing my image for leverage against an ABC player who might have found an "expert" fold with a portion of his range. I wouldn't have done this without the extra overlay I'm getting from the nut bd flush draw... not because I expect it to come in enough to save my butt, but because if I pick up even the draw on the turn (as I did) I'll be able to safely fire another barrel.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:18 PM

I think you overthinked.

The flop CR is asking for an incredible parlay of events to occur.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you overthinked.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.

once you checkraise, i think you've got ot bet that turn, though.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you overthinked.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.

once you checkraise, i think you've got ot bet that turn, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

This is why I ocassionally post these line check hands. I do tend to push hard when I see a weakness, and it means I'm deviating from standard play once or twice a session in places like this one.

Appreciate the feedback.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:07 PM

Just for ducks, river plan as played so far?