Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Microsoft to lose Billions - WTO Rules against U.S.

U.S. blows off WTO....Countries Seek Compensation

It seems our best strategy here is to make sure the major U.S. export companies (Microsoft, Telecoms, etc.) understand that because of the U.S. Trade decision here that other countries will now seek to violate their Intellectual Property and Copyrights until they get their $5 Billion worth of compensation back.

It seems that if Microsoft (Steel companies etc) knew this they would be putting some huge heat on the U.S.'s WTO strategy.

Anybody know the most effective way to make these companies aware of this decision and it's implications. Do we act like stock holders and call? Should we call brokerage houses so they understand there is risk here in these companies profits and stock prices? Please advise.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Microsoft to lose Billions - WTO Rules against U.S.

Here's a link to another article.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...t-Gambling.php
Old 05-22-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody know the most effective way to make these companies aware of this decision and it's implications. Do we act like stock holders and call? Should we call brokerage houses so they understand there is risk here in these companies profits and stock prices? Please advise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya I'm sure that none of those Fortune 100 companies pay any attention to these sorts of politics when they are (supposedly) at risk of losing millions or billions. They need concerned poker plays pretending to be stock holders to get them to realize how severe the issue is. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sorry but do you realize how ridiculous this idea sounds?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya I'm sure that none of those Fortune 100 companies pay any attention to these sorts of politics when they are (supposedly) at risk of losing millions or billions.

Sorry but do you realize how ridiculous this idea sounds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not realize the irony in this statement when PartyGaming, 888, etc. all lost 100's of millions of dollars because they didn't act in advance of the UIGEA.

I hope you're right but a google news search shows this issue is not getting traction outside the gambling media.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:59 PM

There is also a new article on gambling911 that also talks about this and how India, the EU, Brazil, and maybe others are talking about joining together against the insane US actions in the case. I guess if I can't play poker than maybe at least I can buy Spiderman 3 for .89 cents, a copy of Microsoft Vista for $1.99, or 100 tons of steel for $10.

This current republican adminisration and justice dept. is staffed with people who graduated from Pat Robertson's law school for goodness sake,(Bill Maher on his show quoted figures of enormous number of Pat Robertson law school graduates in the current justice dept.) I am sure countries like India, Brazil,and the mighty mighty EU will be able to clean their clocks and empty their wallets with one hand tied behind their backs.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you not realize the irony in this statement when PartyGaming, 888, etc. all lost 100's of millions of dollars because they didn't act in advance of the UIGEA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because UIGEA passed, does not mean that those companies did not act... in fact, they were very concerned about the impact of any legislation. Interestingly, one of the things held against the Neteller founders relates to dislosing their legislative concerns.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:36 PM

How cool. So now I need to sell my NetFlix and Paramount Studios stock too. How ironic, thru their protectist efforts they are going to end up costing the U.S. GDP a few billion.

Friggin' Greek Tragedy !! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

However, I do hope and pray that Microsoft and the other huge US corps. are run a little better than Party Poker.lol However, I do give you that one. I still can't believe the poker companies sat on their hands and watched the ship sinking and didn't ramp up any efforts until it was waaay too late.

Oh and btw, to whom it may concern, quoting Bill Maher for facts is never a good idea.lol
Old 05-22-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is also a new article on gambling911 that also talks about this and how India, the EU, Brazil, and maybe others are talking about joining together against the insane US actions in the case. I guess if I can't play poker than maybe at least I can buy Spiderman 3 for .89 cents, a copy of Microsoft Vista for $1.99, or 100 tons of steel for $10.

[/ QUOTE ]Hmm....I didn't like Spider-Man 3, $1.99 is $1.99 too much to pay for Vista, but I sure could use 100 tons of steel. Count me in.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:31 PM

Guys and gals, this seems like a great opportunity. This is the kind of story a WSJ type reporter would eat up. Its complex, yet involves ideas and concepts that everyone can understand. This needs to get out there -- somehow. It is perhaps true that the MS and Intels of the world are aware of this, but the fact that there has been NO media coverage on this outside of the gambling arena is cause for question. I think the idea of going to big shareholders of MS is a good one, but going to the WSJ may be better. Just my take.