Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Microsoft to lose Billions - WTO Rules against U.S.

I'll believe this when I see it. I mean it's possible that the EU decides this is the time to stand up to the US, but the fallout from an action like this will be substantial. I just can't imagine the EU and others would risk the damage to the world economy in order to defend Antigua's online gambling interests, although I guess you never know.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll believe this when I see it. I mean it's possible that the EU decides this is the time to stand up to the US, but the fallout from an action like this will be substantial. I just can't imagine the EU and others would risk the damage to the world economy in order to defend Antigua's online gambling interests, although I guess you never know.

[/ QUOTE ]

The EU would love to pretend to be on the little guys side and will use this whenever the Doha round starts again. India and Brazil are great allies to have in the WTO talks. I am not too surprised that the mainstream media aren't really on to this one it is all a bit hard for the poor journos to understand but it may get some coverage out of the G8 summit in Germany next month.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh and btw, to whom it may concern, quoting Bill Maher for facts is never a good idea.lol

[/ QUOTE ]

At least it will get you closer to the truth than quoting anyone from the Bush administration.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:09 PM

How does this help us as poker players? From my novice view, if Antigua and other affected countries win compensation claims against the United States, it would be in the form of non poker related benefits. Are we going to give up poker and start selling cheap copies of Vista? I suppose this could force the United states to somehow repeal the UIGEA, but i don't see how. Just my two cents anyways.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does this help us as poker players? From my novice view, if Antigua and other affected countries win compensation claims against the United States, it would be in the form of non poker related benefits. Are we going to give up poker and start selling cheap copies of Vista? I suppose this could force the United states to somehow repeal the UIGEA, but i don't see how. Just my two cents anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it were to get that stage the trade sanctions allowed for Antigua, Brazil, India, the EU.....continue in force until the US conforms to the rules. It is not a one off compensation it is an ongoing cost year on year. The sanctions can be chosen for maximum political effect so the EU can look at who supports UIGEA, look in their home state and slap sanctions on that senators biggest local employer/contributor. They'll probably start with farm products or Boeing and so link it in to the farm subsidy row and help support Airbus.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it starts to look like there will be major sanctions that will negatively impact industries with a lot to lose then they'll hopefully start pushing the government to negotiate or, even better, reverse its' decision. This could potentially lead to something positive. The reporting in the mainstream media would gain traction and be heavily influenced by PR from these industries. This is apt to make the government look bad in the eyes of the common man.

Imagine if the record, movie, and software industries directed their lobbying and PR machines to this. Although their goals would be different than our's, the outcome might not be.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:03 PM

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

If we can be co-belligerents with a more powerful industry, that is a great thing and augers well for the future.

I still think that Microsoft will be involved in online poker in the near future. Bill Gates could personally buy Party Poker.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

If we can be co-belligerents with a more powerful industry, that is a great thing and augers well for the future.

I still think that Microsoft will be involved in online poker in the near future. Bill Gates could personally buy Party Poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he buys it...... God the rackback...... oh please god.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:16 PM

I found it in a questionable IT rag:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05...o_us_gambling/
Old 05-23-2007, 04:34 PM

Microsoft is less vulnerable as they have validation systems built into their software. Other intellectual property industries are more vulnerable, such as music and film. However, their IP is already routinely violated by China and Russia, two of the most egregious violators.

This dispute only has real teeth if other countries line up behind Antigua for cross penalties. I expect that to be the direction that this heads, which will force a solution from the US, one way or another.

I sure hope that Antiqua uses their windfall from the US in the form of new bonus offers.