Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes

Old 11-19-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: flush draw v. piejay 25/50 HU

against this type of player I'd check the turn.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:27 AM

I would check turn against a lot of people, and with your description of player it seems like betting the turn here is not good at all, I mean your description of him almost screams check the turn. As played, I fold, because I don't think the price is good enough to draw to a flush and i don't want to stack off on an A or Q. Also, I don't think there is any reason to believe that shoving is a good play.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:32 AM

what kind of player is piejay? im curious
Old 11-19-2007, 03:05 AM

btw david, I can't for the life of me understand making HU reads like that based on stats... surely its more situational than just AF numbers.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:54 AM

i'm 100% checking this turn
Old 11-19-2007, 05:22 AM

Location: Don\'t Call it a comeback... Ive been here for years

i have played piejay a ton hu at 25/50 on UB. playing him definitely will make you a better hu player because he plays so unorthodox.

On the turn, against him, i would never bet. well almost never, but definitely not here with these stacks. As played, i would call and probably call all pairing and spade rivers, but im not sure. If i remember right i think once he takes the lead he is pretty much going to be potting any river because thats just how he rolls.

id much rather check the turn, then call a pair or hit the flush because when you hit the running spades, you can rep a lot of missed diamonds and straight cards that piejay can talk himself into snapping you off with.

I'd never bluff this river as i mentioned above he loves to snap off a bet like that.

Also i dont know if the stats you gave are really high compared to other high stakes players (i dont use PAHud) but piejay is definitely one of the most aggressive players i have played hu at 25/50 or higher. What are like "normal" stats for hu players that arent too extreme?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
btw david, I can't for the life of me understand making HU reads like that based on stats... surely its more situational than just AF numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, my stats were merely to post that he's the kind of player who will chk/call flop with a much wider range than most hu opponents, meaning 1) he is more likely to peel super light and 2) he is also, paradoxically, more likely to chk-call with a big hand.

i think the problem i had in the hand is i couldn't really get a good feel for the estimation of his range. when i messed around with pokerstove my equity is actually pretty decent if i give him a wide range, i was just wondering if someone who has played a lot with him had a better idea of his range in these kinds of spots.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm 100% checking this turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Piejay is at least calling this turn bet 100%
Old 11-19-2007, 02:44 PM

The only way that I would ever bet this turn is if it was for value; since he is supposedly so likely to C/R bluff or semi-bluff in this spot, I can maybe see bet/calling here and looking to get paid on spades, Q or A, and possibly snapping off a continuation-bet if the board pairs. That being said, that's kind of a ridiculous move only to be made when you have a very solid grasp on the flow of the current HU game. Since it doesn't seem like you do at this point, I think that this should be a turn check 100% of the time..