Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Being reraised less than 3x - general thoughts

I have seen my plays to these types of reraises recently and I'm pretty sure it's a leak of mine. However, you surely have to call preflop with those kind of odds?
Any general thoughts on these situations? I find them very similar if I have a pair like 99-JJ and am reraised preflop and the flop comes with undercards.
You have to bet to find out where you are on the flop but anything around 50% of the pot could just be seen as a cbet and raised anyway. Not many villains bet 50% in an attempt to get me to raise them. I make this play but not many others do [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
...difficult...

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t75/t150
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t3660
UTG+1: t4004
MP1: t5750
MP2: t6796
MP3: t945
Hero: t12280
Button: t3840
SB: t5380
BB: t8760

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
5 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t450</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to t1350</font>, BB folds, Hero calls t900 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1950)</font>.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t2850, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets t1450</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t4800</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB calls all-in t2580</font>.
Uncalled bets: t770 returned to Hero.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t10910, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: t10910)

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t10910, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: t10910)

Results:
Final pot: t10910
Old 11-29-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Being reraised less than 3x - general thoughts

I think you have to fold that pre-flop, after you were re-raised by the SB. I also don't understand what the hand has to do with what you said.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:51 PM

Not sure entirely what you're asking either. Reads on SB in the hand you posted? Readless, when I get 3bet small I put the 3bettor on a tighter range. That being said...

Yes, you're getting good odds to call pre, but the problem with calling a 3-bet vs. a perceived 3betting range that has you crushed (TT+,AQ+ or whatever), is the negative implied odds you're dishing out. You call a smallish preflop 3bet since you're getting a good price, you hit something on the flop and all of a sudden all your money is in the middle and you got the worst of it. Obviously as a good player, you should be able to get away from 2nd best hands at times, but this spot in the hand you posted is a situation you shouldn't find yourself in from the get-go imo.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:01 PM

definitely fold to the re-raise, but the main point of this post was to tell you his raise is exactly 3x your bet and the standard re-raise.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:28 AM

since you are a cutoff his 3-bet range is wider thus i think you played this correctly. that is under usual circumstances but if villain is tight you may have a preflop fold. don't question the play its ok and you have 5 outs if behind.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:32 AM

btw i think your example is more about late position vs blind poker which has become its own beast. lets say you are mp w 99 and are raised by button 3x or less. this is usually a monster. if deep call if not fold. if deep and you don't improve check fold but make a note if he makes this play a bit more than usual you MUST either 4 bet or play the flop strong if its low cards bc his range has widened. i learned from bond those mini 3 bets or 4 bets are almost always the nuts in these donkament low levels.