Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Old 11-21-2007, 02:34 PM

Default [censored] MTTS IMO

Ok, i cant win [censored] in mtts. i crush cash games and i crush sngs. but i cant seem to make [censored] in mtts especially on stars. So wtf, are mtts that much luck based? what do you guys think is the percentage of skill/luck in an mtt.

IMO its like 5% skill and 95% luck.

brag: i crush sngs and cash games
beat: i am basically breakeven at mtts.
variance: lose 70% of races in mtts imo.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: [censored] MTTS IMO

I think you should post more along these lines, thats a good read IMO.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:41 PM

fwiw, I totally agree with you

MTTs are like playing play money after you've played cash games
Old 11-21-2007, 02:43 PM

I just lost with JJ on JQ5 flop against 55, so yea F stars
luckily it was only a 5$ tournament but now I am liable to go on tilt and join 50$ tournies
Old 11-21-2007, 02:43 PM

Once you realize that to win MTT, you need to stay out of races, you'll lose less races and place higher in them.

I JUST started playing them this week. I normally play SnG and cash, mostly live cash, but I played 7 tourneys with 700+ entrants each and placed 150 or less in every single one. Even cashed 3 times. Not bad for my first few tourneys...

Avoid getting all your chips on the line, bad beats and losing races happen, so avoid them. Be cautious preflop, be extra concerned with position, and if someone calls a raise when you have top pair, check/call, or check/fold because you're probably beat.

Whole diff strategy, don't get frustrated, it's acutally easy once you learn the rules. Play super tight for the first hour and you'll be to less than 200 people in a 700-1000 field in no time. Especially $15-$30 buy in events, they are like Jerry Lewis Donkathons. Double up one time then wait for premium hands or suited connectors in multiway cheap PF pots. Also, play ANY pocket pair with any decent sizable raises, hit a set, double up.

GL
Old 11-21-2007, 02:45 PM

early on I would say you have to get into a lot of marginal situations in order to get enough chips to make the final table. If you are folding in possible coinflips you are passing up giving yourself a chance to win it
Old 11-21-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just lost with JJ on JQ5 flop against 55, so yea F stars
luckily it was only a 5$ tournament but now I am liable to go on tilt and join 50$ tournies

[/ QUOTE ]

loooooooooool. that same thing happened to me last night in a cash game for a $200 pot 88 vs 77 on 87x flop..BOOM 7 on river. somehow i still profit on the session because i am just so far above the rim its scary
Old 11-21-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once you realize that to win MTT, you need to stay out of races, you'll lose less races and place higher in them.

I JUST started playing them this week. I normally play SnG and cash, mostly live cash, but I played 7 tourneys with 700+ entrants each and placed 150 or less in every single one. Even cashed 3 times. Not bad for my first few tourneys...

Avoid getting all your chips on the line, bad beats and losing races happen, so avoid them. Be cautious preflop, be extra concerned with position, and if someone calls a raise when you have top pair, check/call, or check/fold because you're probably beat.

Whole diff strategy, don't get frustrated, it's acutally easy once you learn the rules. Play super tight for the first hour and you'll be to less than 200 people in a 700-1000 field in no time. Especially $15-$30 buy in events, they are like Jerry Lewis Donkathons. Double up one time then wait for premium hands or suited connectors in multiway cheap PF pots. Also, play ANY pocket pair with any decent sizable raises, hit a set, double up.

GL

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand, i used to play basically to "make the money" but im pretty much passed that and really look to final table not cash, and then win obv
Old 11-21-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

GL

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah woah woah, I don't know know about that. I've bustoed a lot of people in mtts because they thought they were sick call Kenny Tran and wanted to show all their friends their awesome call with bottom pair.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

GL

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice level dude!