Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-17-2007, 04:22 AM

Default Need some help in the late stages...(bubble play)

Ok..So i would like to think that ive gotten a pretty good grip on this but i keep getting busted. If i survive the first few stages of an mtt (and i do more often than not). i always end up busting out just outside the bubble. my stacks are always either above average or close to the top. seems like i always make the right plays but i run into some ass calling all in with bottom pair and catches runner runner flush cards. i opt to use my all in when appropriate. i play a solid 2.5 to 5 times the big blind game depending on position and it almost always gets me down to the bubble but i just cant get over the hill. any suggestions?
well i guess what im asking is should you still play aggressive or should you shift gears and play more passive at this point? i feel like if you back off on the bubble you throw away precious opportunities to put urself in a better position if you do make the final table. im def nowhere near as experienced as most of the members on hear but im definetly open to any and all suggestions.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Need some help in the late stages...(bubble play)

You definately shouldnt tighten up around the bubble. You should do the opposite. Pick up a lot of pots preflop from people with shorter stacks than youreself. About the bad beats, learn to love them. Where there are MTTs, there will be variance.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seems like i always make the right plays but i run into some ass calling all in with bottom pair and catches runner runner flush cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, you want some "ass" calling you w/ bottom pair. Before anything else, understand this.

[ QUOTE ]
i opt to use my all in when appropriate. i play a solid 2.5 to 5 times the big blind game depending on position

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what this means. If you're opening for 5x the BB you might want to scale that back because it's somewhat excessive. 2.5x-4x is plenty and you need to randomize obv. If you're struggling with that just open for 3x the BB everytime you raise.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:10 AM

im def randomizing. thats what i meant by stating both.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:16 AM

Play ultra-aggressive on bubble. Last tourney i won 6 of 10 pots on bubble(18 get paid,23 left). There are just so many afraid people to call you. Steal with everything, combined with bubble, people's calling range really tightens up and you'll have huge FE. It's super important to be the first one opening the pot while stealing or if you have reads, you can re-steal from LAGs. Don't forget you want to be no.1 not ITM. Destroy the game and rape the bubble.