Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-24-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfriend

[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend keeps a blog on her Myspace page, and in her latest entry she wrote about how she feels about dating someone (me) that makes a living playing poker.

Here's the link to the blog if you want to read it (I told her I'd post it on here),

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=325324163

Anyone got any good stories/advice concerning supportive (or non-supportive) girlfriends/wifes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting read from the perspective of a girl who plays and a bf that doesn't.

My situation is different because I don't make a living at poker it is more a hobby, but things are hugely different in a situation where it is the girl that plays and the guy doesn't.

Even with poker just being a hobby, I noticed that my bf in no way would tolerate me spending all night up playing. He was annoyed when I spent just two saturdays playing in those long tournaments.

Men I don't think are willing to be as understanding about playing poker as women are with a guy. Especially if the time conflicts with the time they want to spend with you.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfrie

You are a girl who plays poker and you have bf who doesnt? Wow. Didnt think that such situations even exist [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Drag your bf into poker or change bf [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2007, 02:26 AM

if ur making less then 10k/month i wouldnt go pro
Old 11-28-2007, 05:14 AM

Golfnutt: who are you trying to convince that pursuing poker as a profession in your 20's is a bad idea? The people making $100k+, putting away investment $ on the side and getting degrees, or yourself?

On top of the monetary benefit (making 2x+ any entry level position out of college), there's the beauty of working your own hours wherever you want (bed, sofa, beach) however you want (pajamas, petting your cat, lying upside down). It's flexible enough to work into university / grad school, building future EV while you pwn donks. It even invites you to travel to great places.

Also, you're working under the assumption that online poker player is not a sustainable profession 5-10 years from now. While certainly possible, I don't think it's very likely. Most people play for leisure or to feed an irrational, addictive habit. This population should always outnumber people pouring hundreds of hours into strategy discussion and logging PT stats like 2+2ers. We'll see.

There's no reason why poker players don't have health insurance or fund retirement plans. I'm still in school and already planning retirement fund allocation (though I'm far from balla income like Henry.. I'm probably a nittier spender though), which is more than most of my peers can say.

--

OP: Do you grind solely donkaments?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:54 PM

vetiver,

I wanted to point out I wasn't discussing people making 2x entry level salaries. I was more referring to people who make more than almost anyone coming out of school. Couple of absurd cases etc. But the vast majority of people who "should" be pro in the sense that I'm talking work far less hours for significantly more pay than first year kids on Wall Street.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP: Do you grind solely donkaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly MTT's but I play mid-stakes limit as well (15/30-30/60) at times. BTW, I'm happy to see that my post generated a lot of good discussion. Oh, and feel free to leave any word of encouragements/comments/criticisms for my gf on her blog, she'd def like that.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:15 AM

Really good read.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know most of these young poker players so I can't judge them but I would generally agree that you are probably right.

I have done very well investing but in the end I still found it to be too much work. Which is actually a very dangerous aspect of gambling for a living. Everything else starts to feel like too much work. I read the people who post in BFI and how they put the effort into maximizing their income and I feel out of place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Henry, you succeed at everything in life, your only quest is to achieve maximum financial gain with minimal effort, lest you waste your precious brainpower. I remember someone once sarcastically saying "Henry is smarter than you, plays poker better, and [censored] hotter chicks." Seriously, I've never seen you make a single post that didn't drip with arrogance and self-love.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:07 AM

"(Since I do not play poker online or at all for that matter-I believe whatever he tells me)"

Hmm, this comment is odd. Its not because she actually trusts you and thinks you're telling the truth that she believes you, she makes the point that she is not knowledgable to verify/disprove what you're saying, as if she doubts you. At least that is the way it comes off to me, I am probably completely wrong and I'm sure you'll know it if so.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes Henry, you succeed at everything in life,

[/ QUOTE ]

To this point in my life the answer would be yes.