Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Legality of a poker social club in CT

A few friends of mine and myself have been entertaining the idea of starting a social club similar to an elks or knights of columbus to use to play poker we have been checking around and it seems as long as this is a social club and revenue is not generated from a rake it seems to be permitted under CT state law I was just wondering if any one is familiar with CT law in this area and is this something worth investigating or are we just spinning our wheels. look forward to responses thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Legality of a poker social club in CT

You can do your own research here:

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Law-Summary/

From what I read so long as there is "no profit taken from the proceeds" of the game (so no rake nor fee) and the game is played "pursuant to a bone fide social relationship" you are exempt from prosecution.

Skallagrim
Old 06-25-2007, 06:26 PM

I didn't look at the link, so I'll just assume that Skallagrim's info is accurate.

I just wanted to add that if you start a social club, you will probably have rent, etc. Obviously, a rake or time charge would be out of the question. The best way to cover this expense would be through membership fees and dues.

If you really wanted to be safe in this regard, I would consider making this a non-profit (dues and fees are enough to cover outgoing expenses. Fees and dues that are overages get returned to the members.).

Just my 2 cents.

Joe
Old 06-25-2007, 10:28 PM

I would think a call to the CT Attorney General's office would make the most sense. If your intent is to 1) keep it within the law, and 2) Not do it if you can't, then the direct approach is best.