Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Breads and cheeses

OK. Last few months I've gotten into more regularly getting good loaves of bread. I still use regular bread for sandwiches most of the time (usually Orowheat or Safeway Select 100% Whole Grain Wheat), but have been trying out a bunch of different varieties of bread for toast, the occassional special sandwich, and for eating with meals.

Also have been trying out new varieties of cheese. So, here's a thread to talk about breads and cheeses you love.

With no further ado, some bread and cheese (both from Whole FOods):

Grace Baking Garlic Loaf with Whole Garlic Cloves

This is a white Italian country loaf with garlic cloves baked into both the crust and inside of the bread. Delicious. Very good flavor, not overpowering garlic at all.

Robusto - this is a semi-hard (not really hard or crumbly, just pretty firm), nutty and slightly sweet (but not too much) cheese. Nice, bold flavor. Sorta like Gouda.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Bread and cheese

that bread looks totally money.

the cheese, not sure yet, but the million dollar question is what else are you putting on this sandwich??

this will make or break the cheese imo.

do you have an all time favorite cheese for sandwiches?
that could be a thread on its own lol.

later. J.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:32 PM

Is that a huge piece of garlic in the bread? holy crap, awesome.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that a huge piece of garlic in the bread? holy crap, awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, yeah I saw that too. I'm not too sure about that, though. That almost seems like way too much garlic, and might overpower the taste of the bread.

edit: Whoa, oops. I missed the sentence in the OP about the garlic not overpowering.

Also, there's a bakery down the street that makes about 20 different types of bread. My favorite is has pepperoni and cheddar cheese baked into the loaf. Very tasty.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:13 PM

El D you should really try any of the bread from Acme bakery (if you haven't yet). They are based in Berkeley and have an outpost in the Ferry Building in SF.

All of their stuff is good, but I absolutely love the sweet baguette. It has the perfect, crisp crust and a slightly buttery and rustic flavor. I probably get 3 of them per week-- mostly to go with cheese I get from cheese board, but I'm eating one right now just by itself.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:22 PM

mr,

Acme is the bread I buy the most. I love their Olive bread, the walnut bread, and one with nuts and cranberries. I always get bread from there if I go to the Ferry Building farmer's market on Saturday. They also sell Acme Bread at Whole Foods here, but it's sorta random what they have available at any given time. Great bread.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:24 PM

quids, solid:

Yes, there are cloves of roasted garlic baked throughout the bread. As I wrote in the review, not overpowering taste at all. Very mild, sweet roasted garlic flavor even biting right into the soft clove.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:31 PM

looks good, I am a big fan of adding some tasty fruit into the mix as well. bleu cheese and pears obv, also peaches and fresh goat cheese, brie and apples, all sorts of combos are great.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:42 PM

i like that cheese... i think one time it was being given as free samples at whole foods?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:52 PM

I tried the Robusto (how could a 2+2'er pass that up?), and wasn't really impressed - for me, it didn't live up to its name. I can see where it would blend with other foods, like on sandwiches, but it did not strike me as a snacking cheese.

As mentioned in the WF thread, try the Rogue Blue cheeses. In particular, the smoked blue is quite delicious; the smoke flavor adds a nice additional layer of flavor onto a creamy blue.