Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 01:27 AM

Default Bottom set on terrible board in a MTT satellite

Was a fold correct here? I can't see how I'm not beat.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t8080)
BB (t8562)
UTG (t19695)
MP (t7422)
CO (t1400)
Hero (t9506)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t400.

Flop: (t1300) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t1300) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t425</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1500</font>, BB calls t1075.

River: (t4300) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB bets [t6662] , Hero folds.

Final Pot: t4300

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB doesn't show.
Outcome: BB wins t4300. </font>

What do you guys think? Thanks,

Will

edit: His push on the end was instant, if that makes a difference in your opinion.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Bottom set on terrible board in a MTT satellite

you're beat.

push turn IMO: 2 different flush draws out there and already a str8 possibility? I'd put him on AJ/2 hearts here if he's standard - what else is he calling with PF besides a mid pocket pair - just my $.02.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you're beat.

push turn IMO: 2 different flush draws out there and already a str8 possibility? I'd put him on AJ/2 hearts here if he's standard - what else is he calling with PF besides a mid pocket pair - just my $.02.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't a push be a huge overbet? Thanks for the insight, this is the first hand ive posted.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:26 AM

I think you played it fine. You could raise a little more on the turn, but I wouldn't bet more than 1800 or so. Since BB knew he'd be heads up pre-flop, he could have slow-played a bigger pair. If you push the turn you're almost guaranteed to fold worse hands and get called by better hands. The only worse hand that might call could be a strong two pair like AK.

You're charging a decent price for the draw. If a spade, heart, J or T comes on the river, you'll have to evaluate, but at least you have enough chips behind that you can fold and survive the hand in reasonable shape.

Just about the worst possible card comes on the river. Now you're losing to TT-AA, any J, or two hearts. I think it's a pretty clear fold, especially because AJ/KJ/QJ/JT would all be common hands for BB to play here. I don't think most villians bluff enough to make a call +EV. It would have been a tougher decision if he had bet 2500 or so.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it fine. You could raise a little more on the turn, but I wouldn't bet more than 1800 or so. Since BB knew he'd be heads up pre-flop, he could have slow-played a bigger pair. If you push the turn you're almost guaranteed to fold worse hands and get called by better hands. The only worse hand that might call could be a strong two pair like AK.

You're charging a decent price for the draw. If a spade, heart, J or T comes on the river, you'll have to evaluate, but at least you have enough chips behind that you can fold and survive the hand in reasonable shape.

Just about the worst possible card comes on the river. Now you're losing to TT-AA, any J, or two hearts. I think it's a pretty clear fold, especially because AJ/KJ/QJ/JT would all be common hands for BB to play here. I don't think most villians bluff enough to make a call +EV. It would have been a tougher decision if he had bet 2500 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the post, pretty much mirrors my thoughts exactly.

Will