Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 06:01 PM

Default TPTK OOP He just keeps calling!

should i be slowing down anywhere here for pot control?
villan is 20/0/.4 over 70 hands

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">CO ($25)</font>
Button ($52.70)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($24.75)</font>
BB ($20.30)
UTG ($15.20)
MP ($47.95)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.35</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1.

Flop: ($2.85) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, CO calls $2.

Turn: ($6.85) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.75</font>, CO calls $4.75.

River: ($16.35) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $11</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $17 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $5.75 (All-In).

Final Pot: $49.85
Old 08-01-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: TPTK OOP He just keeps calling!

Not betting this river really sucks, but his RR really sucks also. I call and shrug if I lose.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:05 PM

IMO, no need to slow down. villain has 0.4 AF. Calling is what this guy does. If the villain were aggressive, and just calling, then I would sense something fishy (slow playing a hand!?) and might c/c river.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:06 PM

You played this fine. You're behind most of the time on the river, but your odds are sick good. You can't check and lose value from Ax here, which is just a colossal part of his range.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:20 PM

I believe the correct play here is based on more than just the starting hand stats of the player. We need post flop information and tendencies from prior hands to help make the decision what the best play is here. We could go over each of them one by one but I'm sure our time is best served with a general thesis here.

The truth is, top pair top kicker heads-up and out of position on the river is where you are most vulnerable in the hand. Reads are the only answer here. I generally check or bet a bit smaller to not get so pot committed.

Whenever you bet a river, you always have to consider their stack size and if your bet and their possible push puts you in a mandatory position to call. If that is the case and you feel confident you have the best hand, you might as well push him all-in to begin with and put the decision on them. However, you're usually better off betting just enough to where a raise by the opponent means something but is still something you can get away from.

You don't have to worry about protecting your hand from more cards so the standard sized bets don't apply in this position. Reactions mean more in this spot.

That's my take.