Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 11:13 AM

Default 100NL Set on dry board - Bet sizing

No reads with only 29 hands on villain. VPIP is 29 FWIW.

Recently moved back up to 100NL and am stinking up the joint. Seems I'm either blowing people out of hands or betting into the nuts. At 50NL its pretty much bet pot, bet pot, bet pot...

At any rate, comments on bet sizing here. I am obviously looking to get it in but this guy might not have much.

$0.50/$1 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $41.80
BB: $49.50
UTG: $36.35
MP: $112.70
CO: $34.05
<font color="black">Hero (BTN): $147.90</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $3.50</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $3.50, 2 folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($8.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $5.50</font>, Hero calls $5.50

<font color="blue"> flat call, can't put this guy on a strong hand and the board is dry. </font>

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($19.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP bets $12.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $40.00</font>,

<font color="blue">He seems to like his cards so I'm raising to build the pot. This bet size leaves villain less than a PSB for the river which is my intent. Typical bet sizes here for this type of board?

Anyone raise the flop? </font>
Old 05-13-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: 100NL Set on dry board - Bet sizing

I raise the flop all day long. If you feel he folds to much to your flop raises, you don't raise the flop often enough as a bluff.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:18 AM

i like it.
Villian is betting any flop and he most likely didnt hit this one. Just calling here is good, hope he catches something on the turn.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:21 AM

Standard.

Calling or raising the flop is fine, depending on board texture (it's fine here), image, and reads.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:22 AM

This is okay, but I like raising the flop better.
It's dry alright, but there's still J9, 97 and 76 and you are going to hate yourself if he outdraws you.

Also, raising the flop just helps to build a big pot.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:34 AM

I think i prefer raising the flop... i think the money gets in easier that way.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:16 PM

I like waiting to raise on the turn occasionally, especially on such a dry board. If you always raise the flop with big hands, you will encourage your opponent to play much better when you just call with your medium-strength hands.

To balance, you should be raising this turn with 97, 76, and even JhTh occasionally(provided you just call on the flop with these hands). This way, if he does have a hand like AQ, you put him in a tough spot when you raise. You could have made the straight(J9) or 2pair(QT), or you could have just called behind with a set or top two. If he decides to raise, he gets called and crushed by your made hands while folding out your draws(not as bad of a result as many ppl think). If he decides to call, and he knows you are capable of having one of the semi-bluff hands I mentioned, he will see alot of ugly rivers for his hand... not to mention he could be crushed already.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:07 PM

On a wetter board, I think everyone is raising.

Still not sure if I like a raise on this board. If we raise on this flop, do we fold out hands like Tx, any random PP.

I don't give villain much of a chance for having J9, 97, or 76 until I see this happening.

BombayBadboy - I'm pretty aggro with draws if that counts for bluffs. Here, there's no history but you make a good point.

Chaos ult - agree with the reads and board texture. Thanks

LMAO - I think raising here only gets it in when villain has 2pr or better. If the board was K85, maybe we drag along Kx to a raise.

Bang 584 - nice post. I play pretty straight forward coming out the micros. I'll have to see how I'm doing on this. I read 2+2 so I'm pretty aggro semi-bluffing draws but I usally like overs and BD flush possiblities to get to busy.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:30 PM

If villain views you as TAG, I much prefer flop raise. He can put you on straight draw, air, or even something like 44 looking to take it away from his overcards or top pair type hand right then and there.

When you call flop and raise turn, this will let villain get away from overpairs a lot. Also villian may c/c call turn and c/f river.

Basically, if villain has overpair you have better chance of stacking him with flop raise. If he has overcards, your not stacking him either way. Even if he hits pair on turn, it'll be tougher.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:52 PM

Calling the flop and raising the turn is flipping your hand face up as AQ or better. I raise these dry flops with ATC.