Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 01:10 PM

Default AQ facing 3bet

Villain is 21/17/5.5 (150). I'm running at 17/13 overall, but may of been opening the pot a little bit more frequently at this table. I have also been 3bet PF 2 or 3 times and folded each time. Just want to know what you think of each option here, 4betting, folding, or calling. I thought folding>4betting>calling. What do you think?

Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1.00 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BTN: $115.00
SB: $100.40
BB: $81.00
UTG: $264.30
Hero (CO): $101.40

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.50</font>, BTN folds, <font color="red">SB raises to $11.20</font>, BB folds, Hero???
Old 11-22-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: AQ facing 3bet

The times that you have been 3b...was it from this villain? If it was from this villain each time then i would 4b...if not, then i would call sometimes folding.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:37 PM

I would rather Folding &gt; calling &gt; 4betting.

You're hand has alot of value HU and you have position on him. You are around 50/50 vs his range. TT+ and AJo+ and occasionally some Suited Connectors. He's obviously folding all SCs AJo, AJs, AQo, (And probably AQs) to a 4 bet, and shoving with AKo+ QQ+. And maybe doing any of the 3 with TT,JJ.

I think 4 betting is making all hands you beat fold and all hands that crush you shove. The only problem is when you call, he has control of the hand and will often win with his cbet. so you better be willing to shove Flop or call a shove from him sometimes even with no pair.

I have similar stats so I kind of just give villain my 3 betting range.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:03 PM

To answer your question DanJ, Villain has not 3bet me before, had been others. Dmoney, I think I may agree that 4betting may be the worst option here, because as you are saying we are pretty much turning our hand into a bluff I think, pretty much only getting value from a fold. But also, I see the same consequences as you when calling as well. If we call he's taking it down most of the time with a CB, and unless he goes crazy I'm probably not getting paid off if I make a pair. So it seems like the only way I'm getting decent value is by turning my hand into a bluff by shoving over his CB, or by floating him and trying to take it away from him on the turn if he slows down.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:58 PM

I think 100NL is not nearly as 3bet happy as some people assume it to be. I'd be very hesitant to 4bet a villain with AQ, without a direct history between us. Just fold it.

fold&gt;4bet&gt;call

Make sure to make notes on who is 3betting you, and be aware that due to your folds your image is that of someone who won't protect his money preflop. Don't assume the table/player is beating up on you till you feel confident that they have opened up their range against you.