Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
nice things are being said about austin jackson. he could be an interesting option for CF out of spring training.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2007/11/2...ive-in-hawaii/

[/ QUOTE ]

just dropping in to say that Jackson is pretty sick, and playing winter ball in Hawaii must be [censored] awesome
Old 11-22-2007, 01:15 AM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nice things are being said about austin jackson. he could be an interesting option for CF out of spring training.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2007/11/2...ive-in-hawaii/

[/ QUOTE ]

The chances of Austin Jackson starting opening day in CF are about 0%. He had a good year in the minors, but only hit a whopping 11% of his balls for line drives and 13 HR split between A and A+. Now he's having a nice showing in winter ball. He is a premium prospect, just not one that's going to be starting 2008 in the show.

[/ QUOTE ]

what i meant was, we'll see how he does in ST. obv he's not starting anywhere near the big league club.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:36 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

hunter is off the market. let's just hope jones fires scott boras before talking to the yankees
Old 11-22-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hunter is off the market. let's just hope jones fires scott boras before talking to the yankees

[/ QUOTE ]

the yankees arent going to sign jones now that they have a-rod back
Old 11-22-2007, 03:03 PM

Melky is fine in CF. Jones would be a pretty significant downgrade for the team to sign. His value over Melky is extremely marginal (if at all) in pure terms of on the field ability. If you take into account that you could sign someone that could play 1B better than a drooler at 1B. ZOMG.

Obv Melky isn't a long term solution unless he significantly picks up his play (again he's below avg for the yanks, but considered how many HOFers or marginal ones you spread around the diamond... I mean... really), but he's essentially free and young.

This whole subject puts me on tilt.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Melky is fine in CF. Jones would be a pretty significant downgrade for the team to sign. His value over Melky is extremely marginal (if at all) in pure terms of on the field ability. If you take into account that you could sign someone that could play 1B better than a drooler at 1B. ZOMG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Player Career OPS+ 2007 OPS+
Andruw 113 88
Melky 90 89

If Melky is very good defensively, you make sense. But Andruw Jones is reputationaly one of the best defensive centerfielders of all time, and Melky rates badly in some defensive systems. Melky could improve as a hitter, even though he hasn't over the last two years and wasn't unlucky this year. Andruw could bounce back, esp, since he was very unlucky this year.

The key is that Andruw needs a one year deal. If he signs a longer term deal he's going to lose a lot of money because of the horrific year he just had (no one is giving him even a Torii Hunter deal right now). How would you feel about paying Andruw $20M for one year with an option on a 4 year extension? My bet is that Cashman could get creative here. And Andruw will likely show up for work much lighter, and in the best shape of his life.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:51 PM

I wouldn't mind the Yanks signing Andruw to a 1 year 25 million deal.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:00 PM

Why would you go out and spend that much money on Jones when you have a cheap acceptable replacement in Melky. I know teams are going to overcompensate their offers down because of how bad his last year was, but still, how many more wins are you going to get out of jones?

Is jones' defense that much better than melky's? That is the only way I can see this making sense.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Player Career OPS+ 2007 OPS+
Andruw 113 88
Melky 90 89

If Melky is very good defensively, you make sense. But Andruw Jones is reputationaly one of the best defensive centerfielders of all time, and Melky rates badly in some defensive systems. Melky could improve as a hitter, even though he hasn't over the last two years and wasn't unlucky this year. Andruw could bounce back, esp, since he was very unlucky this year.

The key is that Andruw needs a one year deal. If he signs a longer term deal he's going to lose a lot of money because of the horrific year he just had (no one is giving him even a Torii Hunter deal right now). How would you feel about paying Andruw $20M for one year with an option on a 4 year extension? My bet is that Cashman could get creative here. And Andruw will likely show up for work much lighter, and in the best shape of his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't mind that at all. But giving Jones a deal like Hunter would be idiotic IMO. Take a peek at which direction both players are heading in their careers. Jones is 30 and Melky could still go either direction atm. IIRC both now and going forward are average CFers with Jones declining much more rapidly than Melky.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you go out and spend that much money on Jones when you have a cheap acceptable replacement in Melky. I know teams are going to overcompensate their offers down because of how bad his last year was, but still, how many more wins are you going to get out of jones?

Is jones' defense that much better than melky's? That is the only way I can see this making sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

well melky's deal is really bad... and if andrew was willing to sign a one year deal, that would mean he'd be willing to get in shape for the season, and be really good at defense

why does melky's D get a pass.. because he's young and on the yankees?