Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-30-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Require health insurance assistance

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Then why do you want the government to make you pay for health care you don't need?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't. I want to remove the greedy insurers out of the equation.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said:

[ QUOTE ]
That's nonsense. The US should be like every other industrialize nation in the world. There should be universal care for all.

[/ QUOTE ]

What am I missing? Can you have universal care without paying for it?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$1000 per year (if that is an accurate figure) is more than affordable. I find it hard to believe that you couldn't find $3 a day to trim from your budget.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not. What's affordable got to do with it?
Is there any value? For healthy individuals who
have no health insurance, health insurance premiums
are a ripoff. It's not the rich subsidizes the poor.
It's the healthy subsidizes the sickly and all
health care middlemen. For healthy people it would
be cheaper to pay for health care when we need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not really true, as I recently found out. I'm nearly 30, been healthy my entire life up until this year and recently went in to check out a problem I was having.

I ended up having outpatient surgery with a bill over $20,000. With great insurance, it cost me only the $20 copayment for the first office visit and nothing else beyond my deductible. I just checked my paycheck and I pay around $90/mo for medical. It would take me 18.5 years of working to pay $20,000 on deductibles at that rate. I'm basically coming out way, way ahead on the "pay as you need it" plan.

I can't imagine going through life knowing 1 accident can mean tens of thousands of dollars out of my pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a simple EV calculation. Since you *needed* the insurance, you qualify as one of the "sickly" in the other poster's definition. In any case, aren't you going to work 18.5 years anyway? If you end up working 25 years without another expensive incident, you'll be behind again.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a simple EV calculation. Since you *needed* the insurance, you qualify as one of the "sickly" in the other poster's definition. In any case, aren't you going to work 18.5 years anyway? If you end up working 25 years without another expensive incident, you'll be behind again.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole point is I had no idea I'd need any insurance for anything, but something suddenly came up. The same thing happens with "healthy" people all the time (like cancer), especially as you get older. Plus, everyone is constantly running the risk of hurting themselves via car accident, random household accident, etc.

Also, if could get to 55 without needing any medical attention, I would be probably in like the top 5% of healthiest people on the planet.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You said:

[ QUOTE ]
That's nonsense. The US should be like every other industrialize nation in the world. There should be universal care for all.

[/ QUOTE ]

What am I missing? Can you have universal care without paying for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Universal care is not health insurance. No middleman. No insurance CEO getting a billion dollar retirement package.

Health care and health insurance is NOT the same thing.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Id suggest you go 12 months without seeing a doctor about your chronic issue. Once youve done that you should be able to get covered for it as there wont be a recent history of it on your medical file

[/ QUOTE ]
Um... what is your source for this?

The Medical Information Bureau keeps records for seven years after you apply for individual health or life insurance (plus, I believe if you reapply, that restarts the timeline).
http://www.mib.com/html/mib_faqs.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that but all insurance application forms usually ask about the last 5 years, and if you're caught lying, DENIED!!

T
Old 12-01-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EVERYONE should have health insurance in the US

That's nonsense. The US should be like every other industrialize nation in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nonsense.

I don't want to wait 6 months for a /MRI/CT-scan or 12+ months for 'emergency' brain surgery.

If you're too cheap to buy insurance, it's your neck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that everyone is quick to point out the examples like these. I can't help but think they are more rare than people like to imply.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong.

[ QUOTE ]

As for the too cheap to buy insurance line, sorry we're not all millionaires. And if you're implying insurance is affordable to everyone I want to live in your world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only millionaires can afford it? rofl_Copter

first webhit on Google - msnbc.com news story --
'According to comparisons from eHealth Insurance.com, the online market leader, a healthy family of four (thirty-something parents and school-age kids) can get a major-medical plan — with a $1,000 annual family deductible and co-payments of $30 per doctor’s visit and $10 for generic drugs — for about $400 a month.

The price falls to $200 a month with a $5,000 deductible.

A healthy 30-year-old single male can pay about $160 a month, or $50 with the higher deductible.'

If you are too cheap to pay $600/yr on his own HEALTH than I got no sympathy. Cancel your cellphone and HBO if you must, zomg!
If you are unable to obtain private insurance due to pre-existing conditions, [actually rare] your state will have a coverage plan that you can sign up for if you don't qualify for Medicare/Caid.
If you can't afford $50/mo because of low income, you would qualify for Medicaid anyway.

OP didn't want to pay up for insurance previously [as he specifically noted], and now wants society to pay the price for his poor decision-making, so he can keep playing poker.
GG OP!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$1000 per year (if that is an accurate figure) is more than affordable. I find it hard to believe that you couldn't find $3 a day to trim from your budget.

Many of the uninsured in America are young and healthy, who choose not to buy health insurance because it will cost more than their likely expenditures for the year. If they all joined the insurance pool, it would drive costs down across the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

winner winner winner

And most [not all] when they have ducked the costs for years will come crying to tell us that the rest of us should pay for them because *now* they have a pre-existing condition.

Most people with a pre-existing condition can still get insurance, if you have diabetes, if you have Parkinson's, if you have a heart murmur, etc. Certain groups like hiv+/hemophiliacs are poorly served, and certainly should vocally use their voices and votes to agitate for more gov't help, and I'm certainly willing to support those efforts.

Price of insurance is typically going to depend not just on you but how many other people are in the pool, their health, and what state you live in, + whether you smoke, drink, are obese, etc.
I know many elderly who are retired and too ill to ever work again and we'd all love some Utopian slush fund that pays for every single medical expense, and costs little/no $ to the customer.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:50 PM

I live in New Jersey. I'm 41 years old, in perfect health and pay $430/month for minimal allowable coverage for a self-employed person. It has a $10,000 deductible. The premium goes up 10-20% every year.

$1000/year??? Where do you guys live?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For individuals health insurance premiums are based solely on age. Even those who have never made a claim will have their premiums raised when they move into a higher age bracket.
... premiums based on the driving records of others?

[/ QUOTE ]

driving record <> age.

Old people get sick more. This is a fact of life, not some 'unfair ripoff' the insurance companies are scamming on us. 22-yr olds don't often get Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, clogged arteries, etc.

All of these things will continue to raise the National health bill:
more people
aging population in general
more senior citizens as a % of pool
new drugs and surgeries
more demand for treatment.

But no one thinks *they* should have to pay for it.

Look - the answer is there is NO magic bullet. With an aging population you can either:
1 - pay more
2 - deny care like in UK, Canada, elsewhere,
3 - not pay for new medical advances.

Offer people this deal - you can pay 1977 prices [+inflation] for your insurance and care, but you only get 1977-era treatment. Would anyone take that deal?

New treatments for HIV cost upwards of $20k a year just for the pills. That's with no insurer markup. Society cannot pay for everything for everyone's needs for all expensive treatments and experimental surgeries and etc that 300m people want offered to them 24/7 with no waiting.

Most estimates of countries that promise 'universal care' and deny patients treatment for months at a time, spend 17-22% of GDP, a system where millions die off in line and new drugs/procedures take years and decades to be covered, if ever.
Get enough voters to put in politicians who think the Gov't makes better HC decisions than individuals, and the system will change. Are you going to make it a crime to have private insurance and doctors like those countries also have in many places? Do you think smokers and drinkers and skydivers and fatties should pay more? No system will make everyone happy.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
EVERYONE should have health insurance in the US

even if you SELF-INSURE, you should get cheap insurance with a high deductible...it'll be cheap since insurance company will never pay out each year unless you have a major illness/surgery

[/ QUOTE ]
This does not seem to be the case. I tried inquiring into high deductible, catastrophic type coverage and it would be over $1000 a year for a completely healthy mid-20s non-smoking male.

If I am wrong feel free to point me in the right direction but I don't consider that "cheap."

[/ QUOTE ]

$600 see above. That *is* cheap, ftr.