Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Ciaffone\'s and Reuben\'s PLNLP and Ciaffone\'s new book

I recently started reading this book and have to say that it is very good - especially given the fact that it was one of the very first books dedicated to NL cash games.

I am just finishing up the Holdem section and am wondering if there is any benefit from reading the last half of the book which is dedicated to other games such as Omaha, Stud, etc... I am just focusing my game on Hold'em right now.

Also Ciaffone was supposed to come out with a NL cash book - anyone know when that is happening?
thanks,
Old 11-08-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Ciaffone\'s and Reuben\'s PLNLP and Ciaffone\'s new book

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]I agree it is a pretty good book.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]I wouldn't bother reading the other sections if you don't play those games.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]He's been 'having a book coming out' for several years now. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:49 PM

thanks Pokerboy,

I just got an email from old Bob and he said that it should be out next year.
The guy is at least 2.5 years late now. With the all the other cash books out, I wonder if he would have anything new to say?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got an email from old Bob and he said that it should be out next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said that last year! (And the year before)

[ QUOTE ]
With the all the other cash books out, I wonder if he would have anything new to say?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO there aren't ANY good NLH books on the market at all. Maybe this will change when Harrington's books are released next year.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:55 PM

By "good" I mean something other than covering "the basics". These are good books for beginners and early intermediates:

The Little Green Book by Phil Gordon
Harrington on Hold 'Em volume 1 by Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie
Professional No-Limit Hold 'Em volume 1 by Matt Flynn, Sunny Mehta, and Ed Miller
Old 11-08-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]I wouldn't bother reading the other sections if you don't play those games.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is seriously bad advice.

You should read the entire book, even if you never intend to play the other games. This is because many important Pot Limit and No Limit concepts are discussed in these other chapters. And these concepts apply to Hold'em as well. Some of these concepts appear in their purest form in games other than hold'em, and this is why they are best illustrated by using a different game. But they still apply to Hold'em.

For example, I have rarely played London Lowball and may never play it again in the future. Yet I found that chapter of the book to be both very interesting and very useful. This is because it illustrates some important Pot Limit concepts that apply to Hold'em (and any other game) as well. These concepts appear in a 'pure' form in Lowball and some other stud games and are thus best discussed in this context. But they can be directly transferred to Hold'em.

It's a bit like the Theory of Poker. Many important concepts that relate to any poker game are discussed in that book. It would be silly just to read the examples that are Hold'em based because many of the important ideas may use stud or other games to exemplify them, even though they can also be applied to Hold'em. It's exactly the same with Ciaffone's book.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should read the entire book, even if you never intend to play the other games. This is because many important Pot Limit and No Limit concepts are discussed in these other chapters. And these concepts apply to Hold'em as well. Some of these concepts appear in their purest form in games other than hold'em, and this is why they are best illustrated by using a different game. But they still apply to Hold'em.

For example, I have rarely played London Lowball and may never play it again in the future. Yet I found that chapter of the book to be both very interesting and very useful. This is because it illustrates some important Pot Limit concepts that apply to Hold'em (and any other game) as well. These concepts appear in a 'pure' form in Lowball and some other stud games and are thus best discussed in this context. But they can be directly transferred to Hold'em.

It's a bit like the Theory of Poker. Many important concepts that relate to any poker game are discussed in that book. It would be silly just to read the examples that are Hold'em based because many of the important ideas may use stud or other games to exemplify them, even though they can also be applied to Hold'em. It's exactly the same with Ciaffone's book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't find the London Lowball section very helpful to my Hold 'Em game.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of generic. If you sighted an example of a specific and how it helped your hold'em game, it would then be a topic for discussion.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By "good" I mean something other than covering "the basics". These are good books for beginners and early intermediates:

Professional No-Limit Hold 'Em volume 1 by Matt Flynn, Sunny Mehta, and Ed Miller

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the Ciaffone/Reuben book and the SuperSystem NLHE chapter? These aren't good?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the Ciaffone/Reuben book and the SuperSystem NLHE chapter? These aren't good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ciaffone/Reuben book is good but very short as far as the NLH section goes.

Supersystem is definitely not good.

NLHTP is not good.