Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 12:52 AM

Default (probably bad?) bluff

villain is semi-taggish, but seems weak. Of course, it is the last hand of a good session, and i figure hmmm, let's be a little creative. Awful/bad/okay/good/great bluff??

Comments on all post flop streets welcome:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($200)
CO ($271)
Button ($131.80)
SB ($201.20)
BB ($120.75)
Hero ($208.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls $5, BB calls $4.

Flop: ($18) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $6</font>, BB calls $6, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($36) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $27</font>, SB calls $27, BB folds.

River: ($90) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $27</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $169.8</font>, SB calls $135.20 (All-In).

Final Pot: $414.40

**FWIW i could count on one hand (or two fingers, maybe?) the times i have made a play like this for my stack in 25k hands of NL 200. Curious if this is okay once in a while....
Old 11-24-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: (probably bad?) bluff

Fold flop. Wtf are you doing on turn. Getting called on turn, I think you have to put him on 2 pair+, and even if you're trying to rep a flush, you don't try to bluff people off 2 pair. And he could have a flush.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
**FWIW i could count on one hand (or two fingers, maybe?) the times i have made a play like this for my stack in 25k hands of NL 200. Curious if this is okay once in a while....

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i do this like twice a session
Old 11-24-2007, 01:09 AM

since he called (take that out btw) i can safely say that i hate it.

had i not seen that he called, i would have said "i dont hate it, but i dont love it either. it looks like youre trying to slam headfirst through a brickwall. just let it go."
Old 11-24-2007, 01:15 AM

the thing u gotta take away from this is that even though it blew up in your face, villain officially thinks youre retarded... so keep that in mind and try to felt tpgk against him in the future where against another opponent you'd go for potcontrol/medium sized pot. so while you blew a stack here, you'll be able to get it back later fairly easy.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the thing u gotta take away from this is that even though it blew up in your face, villain officially thinks youre retarded... so keep that in mind and try to felt tpgk against him in the future where against another opponent you'd go for potcontrol/medium sized pot. so while you blew a stack here, you'll be able to get it back later fairly easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, thanks guys. yeah, i meant to not include that villain called. why do you do stuff like this twice a session, naz- do you feel it's a good play, or are you tilting when u make these plays?
Old 11-24-2007, 02:13 AM

I think that this is pretty reasonable. If you woudn't shove with a flush, I'd raise a smaller amount. I think a raise to $100 looks even scarier and probably folds just as many hands. I actually think villian will fold a ton of hands here, the fact that he didn't and got to see your hand should be to your advantage in future sessions. Just make sure you take advantage of this and you're continally aware of your image in different spots. Also, this villian seems terrible so try and play with him more. I like the way this is played, nh.

Just wanted to edit to say that I would fold flop, but if i got to the river this way then i like the raise
Old 11-24-2007, 02:17 AM

I just try to take some non standard lines more frequently lately.

luegofuegos well kinda inspired me to start experimenting w/ finding more spots to steal pots rather than just playing ABC grind poker. sometimes they work out well and I feel like a genius for stealing a 40-50bb pot, sometimes you get burned for a stack. you learn from your mistakes, realize where you went wrong and go back to looking for more spots. most importantly you realize how much people react and adjust to you especially after you do something really crazy and it bombs out. so instead of getting that "omfg that was dumb, wtf am I doin?" feeling, I'm more like "okay, now how can I use image I just created to get paid off and win those chips back"

most people blow up and shut down right after they get caught running a big bluff, but its really the most profitable time to be at the table.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:41 AM

I play it the same if I float the flop. Nice hand. (Note: I call the flop like 10% of the time here.)
Old 11-24-2007, 02:56 AM

overcalling here is terrible