Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Set against possible straight

I flopped a set of Jacks on an extremely draw heavy board,
was it ok to reraise the flop, and call the All In? VILLAIN is pretty loose, but not overly aggressive.

NL $15
BB: ($12.50 in chips)
MP: ($14.90 in chips)
MP+1: ($26.55 in chips)
CO: VILLAIN($14.55 in chips)
BUTTON: dsaZeus1 ($4.20 in chips)
SB: HERO ($25.80 in chips)
*** Blind Bet Round *** :
HERO : Post Blind ($0.10)
BB: Post Blind ($0.15)
MP+1 : Post Blind ($0.15)
Dealt to HERO: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
MP+1: Post Dead Blind ($0.10)
*** Pre-Flop *** :
MP: Call ($0.15)
MP+1: Check
VILLAIN: Call ($0.15)
BUTTON: Fold
HERO : Call ($0.05)
BB: Check
*** Flop *** : J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
HERO : Check
BB: Check
MP: Check
MP+1: Bet ($0.50)
VILLAIN: Raise ($1)
HERO : Raise ($3)
BB: Fold
MP: Fold
MP+1: Call ($2.50)
VILLAIN: Raise($13.40)
VILLAIN: All In ($14.40)
HERO : Call ($11.40)
MP+1: Fold
*** Turn *** : [ J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
*** River *** :[ J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: $32.35 | Rake: $0.30
Board: [ J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]

VILLAIN bet $14.55, collected $32.35, net $17.80 Shows [ 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ] (a straight, Ace high)

HERO lost $14.55 Shows [ J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] (three Jacks)
Old 03-03-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Set against possible straight

You need to raise this preflop. JJ is a very strong hand you and you don't want to hand out free rides to all of the others.

I'd be happy to get it allin on the flop. Two pair is more likely holding for him and even if he has it you have a decent redraw.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:54 AM

I hate your preflop limp. You need to raise it up to at least $1.

On the flop there is a mini bet, and then a mini raise, so your 3 jacks definitely look beat. The good news is with these crazy small bets, you are getting good odds to draw to your full house...but you should definitely not raise.

Had you not reopened the betting, villian would not have had a chance to get it all in on the flop, and you could have seen a cheap turn.

As played, you should've fold to the all in.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:15 PM

postflop standard.

Preflop; WTF are you doing??
Old 03-03-2007, 12:48 PM

Dans Full, fold to the all in? I got about 2:1 odds to call there so a fold would be very bad, but I figure my reraise was pretty bad
Old 03-03-2007, 01:03 PM

What structure is this? 10/15? Never seen it before.
I hate your preflop play. Big PPs are strong in HU situations not on multiway flops. Multiway situations are disastrous for PPs. That is even true for AA. Its value goes WAY down. You are basically giving everyone with 2 random hands a shot at you here. So raise preflop to a) fold out speculative hands that could draw out on you and b) create a big pot against a single opponent or 2 maximum.

Your flop raise is standard. I probably make it more. Like 4 or 5. You are raising less than the pot here if I see that correctly.
Calling the push is pretty standard getting 2:1, I think, and even more standard if you raised yourself more. I'm a little biased because I know the result of the hand. So don't trust me 100% here. But in general, I don't assume a made straight here and I don't assume a set-over-set, because TT-QQ normally don't limp in preflop... So I think combo draws and 2pairs are a good portion of villain's range.

Getting owned by K9o is what you get when you don't raise preflop. Sorry to say so. Maybe he would still have called. But then he would have sucked out on you and not have gotten a free shot. And please don't post results in the future. It could make people search for reasons not to call on the flop.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:27 PM

Correct me if my maths skills are lacking today..but you are getting slightly less than 2-1 on the call, and your odds to fill up on the turn are a little worse than 3-1. and 4-1 for the river..did i mess that up? sounds right in my head.

Edit: sorry...you're gettin 3-2 over both streets. my brain no workee today. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2007, 02:43 PM

Dans Full,

Yes. You messed it up.