Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Flop a Set, whats my line?

No too much on villian in terms of reads...but seems like he has a big hand(maybe a big ace?) with his min bet on the flop, and small turn bet.

Aside from raising preflop(which I usually do, not entirely sure why I didn't this hand), anything you think I could have done differently? As for the river, obvious push?

PokerStars No-Limit Holden's, $0.05 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($2.04)
BB ($5.67)
UTG ($6)
Hero ($9.85)
CO ($4.55)
Button ($5.83)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG (poster) checks, Hero calls $0.05, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.20) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.05</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.2</font>, SB calls $0.20, BB folds, UTG calls $0.15.

Turn: ($0.80) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, SB folds, UTG calls $0.85.

River: ($2.80) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, Hero ?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Flop a Set, whats my line?

Raise preflop.

Raise a little more on the flop.....

As played. Puke and call the river. I probably just push the turn at this point.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:24 PM

If you have villain on a big ace, price him out for it flop and turn. Bigger bets and call the river.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM

Why puke? We're only beat by AA, KK, A4, A5, and AK. Arrr in.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:28 PM

It is a unraised pot..That is why I think villain will felt with any Ace.

Its a weird push but at this river...Warteen is right....Gets that money in.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:43 PM

theres a very slim chance he's got you beat on this one, push it all in. I'd assume he probably had AK, or missed his draw and was trying to push you out.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:03 PM

Raise a bit more on flop and turn, and shove the river.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:10 PM

Congratulations -- you flopped a monster. Even better, that ace on the board means that you're likely to get some action with it. Take a deep breath and then think about how best to get money into the middle.

I like your flop raise. UTG's bet is too pansied to smooth-call, but you'd rather not lose any customers. Your raise is large enough to build a pot but small enough to get customers. Aces aren't going to go running for the hills because of it, so you should get some good action.

That turn card was BEAUTIFUL for you. At this point every ace is going to be trapped in the hand (nobody can fold trips) and you're going to beat them badly. Again UTG bets, again it's way too small, and again you ignore it and make a raise. If anything I'd say your raise was too large: you're facing SB with a more-than-pot-sized raise, and that's going to scare him off without a really strong hand. More importantly, you have no reason to scare anybody off. I like the idea of raising to $0.80 again in the hopes of trapping SB and (ideally) getting reraised by UTG, at which point you can drop all pretenses and push (SB would be so short as to be pot-committed regardless of your four-bet). Alternatively, you could raise all-in on the turn and be done with it, expecting to get called by any ace. This reveals your hand as a monster, but it accomplishes the goal of getting the money into the middle. I don't like your turn raise because it's too big to be easily called and it's big enough to tip your hand, but it's not big enough to significantly punish your opponent. If you're going to make an overbet to the pot, it should usually be a push. If you're not willing to push, don't overbet the pot.

On the river you should push. It's highly unlikely that UTG has AK because he didn't raise preflop. It seems much more likely that UTG has a weaker ace. If he's got A5 or A4, that's just tough luck and you were bound to go broke in this hand. If he's got A6 through AQ he's going broke if you push. Villain only has $2.75 or so left in his stack after his river bet, so he's going to call a push with any hand, and your sneaky monster is ahead of villain's range of hands right now. Charge him his stack for his ace.

One last point: no matter how this hand turns out, you should be making a note on your opponent. His play in this hand is peculiar, and you should take the opportunity to figure out what it means and note it for future reference. If he beats you in this hand, note that he's incredibly passive with monsters preflop and that he makes dramatic underbets with huge hands. If he didn't beat you, note that he overplays weak aces and beware when he's involved on ace-high boards.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:21 PM

Pokey, the turn raise is actually less than a pot-sized raise. A pot-sized raise would be to $1.25. I kind of like a turn push here, but raising to $0.80 or so is too little IMO. You want to keep building the pot with your monster. If you're not going to push, $1 isn't a bad raise, and more than $1 is probably better than less, since no ace is ever folding here and you're unlikely to get any value from other hands (except lower sets, which again aren't folding no matter how much you bet).
Old 03-01-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pokey, the turn raise is actually less than a pot-sized raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct, and I wasn't clear in my original phrasing. From UTG's perspective that's true, but from SB's perspective it's more than a pot-sized bet+raise. Therefore, this bet will be unusually likely to knock SB out of the pot, and that's an event we'd like to avoid. Alternatively, if we give up on SB we should be pushing.